Connect with us

Business

McDonald’s $5 meal deal blamed for demise of french fry factory

Published

on

The biggest french fry supplier to McDonald’s has blamed the chain’s $5 meal deal for its factory closure and job losses.

Lamb Weston, the largest producer of fries in North America, announced earlier this month that it is closing a factory in Washington and laying off nearly 400 employees.

Boss Thomas Werner said that demand for fries is falling because of smaller portion sizes included in discount deals. Burger King and Wendy’s have near-identical $5 meals too.

‘Many of these promotional meal deals have consumers trading down from a medium fry to a small fry,’ he said on an earnings call earlier this month.

McDonald’s initially launched its $5 value meal as a summer promotion in June, but has extended it to Christmas due to high demand from cash-strapped customers.

‘The extension of the $5 Meal Deal, and the other offerings we’re announcing for our fall line-up, are just a few of the ways we’re working hard to offer great meals at a fair price,’ Joe Erlinger, president of McDonald’s USA, said in September.

Erlinger confirmed that McDonald’s created the deal after he ‘zig-zagged the country’ and participated in focus groups with its customers.

‘They’ve felt the stress of the inflation over the last few years, and so this is a great opportunity for McDonald’s to bring them value,’ Erlinger said.

The meal consists of a McDouble or McChicken, a four-piece portion of chicken nuggets, a small drink, and – crucially – a small portion of fries.

‘Meal deals with smaller fries portions are certainly part of the problem,’ Neil Saunders, Managing Director of GlobalData Retail, told DailyMail.com.

‘Individually this doesn’t make much difference, but across the hundreds of millions of transactions within fast food this has a massive impact on volumes.

‘The other problem alongside this is people dining out less which is also impacting the volume of fries sold.’

McDonald’s is Lamb Weston’s largest customer, accounting for 13 percent of its sales, according to CNN.

As well as fully shutting down the Washington factory, Lamb Weston also announced it was temporarily cutting production at its other plants due to the slowing of customer demand.

Following several years of price rises, many fast food giants, including McDonald’s, have begun to offer value deals in a bid to win back customers.

McDonald’s suffered a surprise fall in sales in the April to June quarter, dragged down by fewer customers visiting the chain.

Around 80 percent of french fries consumed in the US come from fast-food chains, according to Lamb Weston

 

Following several years of price rises, many fast food giants, including McDonald’s, have begun to offer value deals in a bid to win back cash-strapped customers

 

It was the first sales decline since 2020, when the Covid-19 pandemic shuttered stores and millions stayed home.

According to Lamb Weston, around 80 percent of french fries consumed in the US come from fast-food chains – which means it is also exposed to declining foot fall at other restaurants.

Customer traffic to fast-food chains dropped 2 percent last quarter and 3 percent the previous quarter compared to the same time last year, the producer said.

It comes amid reports activist investor Jana Partners is pushing Lamb Weston to explore a sale.

Lamb Weston shares jumped around 8 percent in early trading on the news from The Wall Street Journal.

Read more

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

Business

Fuel price hike: Gov Makinde announces N10,000 transport support for workers

Published

on

 

The governor of Oyo state, Seyi Makinde, has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance as a palliative for the state workforce to cushion the effects of the increase in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol.

The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Oyo State chapter, Kayode Martins, in a statement released on Monday, March 23, disclosed that the governor has granted the request of the union on the issue of transportation allowance.

The statement read

“Following the intervention and formal request made by the State Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) earlier this morning, the state government has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance for all workers in the state.

The newly approved allowance is set to take effect from April 2026, providing much-needed relief to workers grappling with rising transportation costs amid current economic challenges.

This development comes as a direct response to sustained advocacy by the state NLC, aimed at cushioning the impact of increased living expenses on the workforce.

Further details on implementation are expected to be communicated by the relevant government authorities in due course.”

Continue Reading

Business

CBN Releases New Age Limit, Guidelines On BVN Operation.

Published

on

 

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has declared that banks and financial institutions must establish and maintain a temporary watch-list for Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) implicated in suspected fraudulent transactions.

According to the CBN in a circular dated March 12, 2026 and signed by its Director of Payments System Policy Department, Musa I. Jimoh, the apex bank said such a suspected BVN may remain on the temporary watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours during which the owner would be contacted to make clarifications.

The circular explained that the move is part of several new measures under a revised regulatory framework aimed at enhancing financial system stability.

“A BVN may remain on this temporary Watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours, during this period, the BVN owner shall be contacted to provide clarification regarding the identified transaction(s),” the circular stated.

The circular also sets an age requirement for BVN enrolment, restricting registration to individuals who have attained eighteen (18) years and above.

The CBN also added that amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once.

“Amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once,” the circular noted.

The apex bank stated that access to BVN databases will remain tightly controlled.

“Access to the BVN databases shall be exclusively granted to Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) licensed financial institutions.

“Notwithstanding this provision, the Central Bank of Nigeria (the Bank) reserves the right to approve access to the BVN databases in extenuating circumstances and in accordance with the provisions of extant laws,” the circular said.

Financial institutions are expected to comply with the new requirements, and customers may be contacted by their banks if their BVNs are temporarily flagged during the new fraud monitoring process.

The new policy, as stated by the CBN, takes effect from May 1, 2026.

Continue Reading

Trending