News
NATO allies brace themselves for more harsh truths from US’ Marco Rubio
NATO allies are readying themselves for a major ‘shift’ in responsibility for defending the continent, but diplomats told Euronews on the eve of a ministerial meeting in Brussels that the transfer of burden of responsibility is crucial to keep the US in the alliance.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is in Brussels on Thursday and Friday attending his first meeting of NATO foreign affairs ministers where he’s expected to hammer home US demands that the burden of security and defence of the alliance has ‘shifted’ to Europeans.
But Europeans will have a message for him too: that it’s not a good move to try to go it alone – without the support of its 31 allies.
“The messaging from Rubio will be clear: that Europeans need to take responsibility for conventional defence of Europe so we can take our American equipment to other theatres (of war), and we want Europeans to go to 5% defence expenditure,” a European NATO official with direct knowledge of the situation told Euronews.
“Burden shifting needs to take place” to keep the US within the alliance, the official said.
Allies are also bracing themselves for a drop the number of US troops stationed in Europe under NATO.
Currently there are around 100,000 troops protecting NATO territory, and members are considering the US could reduce this number by between around 20,000 – 50,000.
The US has not given any formal indication of this, but Secretary of Defence Petr Hegseth warned last month “you can’t make an assumption that America’s presence will last forever”.
“We need US troops in Europe – we have 100,000 now but I think we will see that number decrease – if we had half of that it would be fine,” said a diplomat ahead of today’s summit.
The impact of the US unwinding its presence after years of engagement would be severe but allies also say that if and when an announcement comes, they expect to be fully informed directly, and not find out from the media.
Moreover, a European diplomat has told Euronews that it would be “hard to digest” if an announcement emerged from US talks with Russia.
“If they do it, then the US scale back in an orderly way – we don’t want to read in the press that they’re pulling out, we need a process,” the diplomat said, adding: “And It would be very dramatic if it was a result of negotiations with Moscow – that would be hard to digest.”
Despite recent confrontations from the Trump administration towards Europe, NATO allies said US membership and commitment is indispensable for NATO deterrence.
“But we will have to drastically step up,” said the diplomat.
While Rubio will have a stark message to deliver to the Europeans, foreign affairs ministers will tell him that the apparent US pivot away from its traditional allies won’t serve it well as it concentrates threats in the Indo-Pacific.
“We will tell him now is not the time to go it alone – the comparative advantage staying with Europe than moving towards with China and Russia is you have 32 strong democracies by your side – Europe is buying s so much from American companies – we buy four times more in America than we buy European,” said the diplomat.
Several European diplomats have told Euronews they don’t expect the Trump administrations threats to annex Greenland – a semi-autonomous Danish territory – or take over Canada as the 51st US state to dominate the discussion, although Secretary of State Rubio is due to have a bilateral meeting with Danish Foreign Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen.
On meeting the demands set out by the Trump administration which will be echoed by Rubio, Rutte told journalists “lets celebrate the fact that we have spent an aggregate €700 billion euros since 2017”.
President Trump and US Defence Secretary Hegseth have said NATO spending needs to drastically increase from 2% to 5% of GDP which is likely to take a heavy toll on allies such as Spain, Italy and Belgium which haven’t yet reached 2%.
Europe has to “assess exactly what the targets we need to achieve, and which gaps that we have”, he said, adding: “We need more long-range capabilities, more air defence and to invest in our armies.”
“When you look at the aggregate number, you can assume that allies will have to spent considerably north of 3% to meet those targets.”
Business
Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG
The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.
Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks
“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.
The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.
If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.
Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country
News
Cameroon’s President, Paul Biya Set To Get A Vice President For The First Time In His 43-Year Rule
Cameroon’s president, Paul Biya, is set to get a vice president for the first time in his four-decade rule, following controversial constitutional changes backed by the parliament.
In a joint session of the ruling party-dominated National Assembly and Senate, lawmakers voted 200 to 18 in favour, with four abstentions, to pass the bill.
The bill stipulates that the vice president will automatically assume the presidency if President Paul Biya dies, resigns, or becomes incapacitated.
Biya, 93, has led the Central African country since 1982 and is the world’s oldest serving head of state. Public discussion about his health is banned.
According to the legislation, a copy of which was seen by Reuters, the vice president will be appointed and dismissed by the president, serving for the remainder of the president’s seven-year term.
However, the interim leader would be prohibited from initiating constitutional changes or running in a subsequent election.
Prior to the amendment, the constitution designated the leader of the Senate to briefly take over in case the sitting president d!es or is incapacitated. An election would then be held.
The Social Democratic Front (SDF) party, which has six representatives in parliament, boycotted the vote. It had pushed for a revision in favour of the vice-president being jointly elected with the president, rather than appointed.
The party also sought a constitutional provision that reflects the linguistic split between English and French-speaking regions. The SDF wanted the nation’s top two posts to be shared between Cameroon’s two communities, which was the position before 1972.
“This constitutional reform could have been a moment of political courage, but it is nothing less than a missed historic opportunity,” SDF chairman Joshua Osih said.
News
Nigerians Expect Everything Free, Roads And Light, But Don’t Want To Pay Tax — Minister Wike
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has highlighted the ongoing challenges of tax collection, pointing out the disparity between citizens’ expectations and the reality of government revenue.
Speaking with TVC NEWS live, he stressed that while Nigerians expect quality infrastructure and services, there is widespread reluctance to contribute through taxes.
On the difficulty of generating revenue, Wike said: “To collect tax, you know it’s not an easy thing. I don’t know how many of you here like to pay tax. Nigerians want everything for free. They want road, they want light. It is not easy.”
He further stated; “When I came to Abuja we were about 8, 9 billion. The money we get from the federal government is 1% of the allocation of federal government. So if federal government gets 1 trillion for example, they’ll give us one percent which is ten billion naira and that cannot carry the society. Our salary in a month is not less than 12–13 billion, so we must augment. How do we augment?”
Addressing public criticism, he added: “There’s no ab¥se that any politician has received than me. I think after the president, I’m the highest ab¥sed. There’s nothing we do that we won’t get ab¥sed. Well, what is important to me is that I want to be concentrated to do the job.”
On oversight and accountability, Wike explained how closely he monitors the finances: “The money we have gotten from tax challenge me, minister FCT, what are you doing? I’ll show you as I sit here.”
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
