Connect with us

News

Nigerian Govt urges Ethiopia to expedite action on exchange of sentenced persons

Published

on

The Federal Government has urged the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia not to further delay the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Exchange of Sentenced Persons between both countries.

Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu stated the country’s position at a meeting with the Ethiopian Ambassador to Nigeria, Legesse Geremew Haile, in her office at Tafawa Balewa House, Abuja.

This is as the minister expressed the Federal Government’s displeasure over the spate of embarrassment and harassment suffered by Nigerians including those with Official and Diplomatic Passports in Addis Ababa.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu reminded the Ethiopian Ambassador that the Nigeria side had concluded with reflection of the Ethiopian observations in the draft MOU on Exchange of Sentenced Persons between both countries and wondered why signing of the MOU was being delayed despite assurances at their meeting of March 6, 2025.

The minister highlighted with deep concern the plight of Nigerian inmates in Ethiopia who she said were not having access to medical care among other challenges. She also noted the overwhelming challenges this posed to the Ethiopian Government.

She expressed dismay that a Nigerian recently died in Ethiopian prison, and declared that as a government deeply committed to citizen diplomacy, the federal government would not want a repeat of such ugly incident.

“Our people don’t want to hear that another Nigerian inmate died in Ethiopian prison,” the minister said.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu further decried the continued delay in returning monies seized from Nigerian businessmen by the Ethiopian Government even after the country’s Prime Minister, Abiy Ahmed, had at the 40th Session of the Executive Council of the African Union held in February 2022, granted amnesty to all African travellers whose monies were seized at the Bole International Airport, due to non-declaration of the amount over and above three thousand US Dollars, as provided by then Ethiopian law.

She regretted that of the 25 Nigerians whose monies were seized as at the time, only 15 had been approved for refund, due to the stringent condition put by the Ethiopian side for the refunds. Even at that, only two persons had actually been refunded their seized money.

The minister cited the pathetic case of one Mr. Francis Chukwuma Uzoh whose US$70,000 was seized by the Ethiopian authorities. She bemoaned that despite meeting all the conditions, Francis was yet to be refunded since 2022.

Consequently, Mr. Francis has become desolate, homeless, abandoned by family, hugely indebted and a shadow of his former self.

The minister, therefore, urged the Ethiopian envoy to press for a last chance for the Ethiopian Government to refund Mr. Francis his $70,000 while he is still alive, “so they don’t use the money to bury him when he has gone.”

Additionally, the minister noted that visa waiver for holders of Official and Diplomatic Passports was tied to the Bilateral Air Services Agreement (BASA) signed by the two countries.

Following what Nigerians faced at Addis Ababa, Odumegwu-Ojukwu accused Ethiopia of unilaterally withdrawing from the MoU without notifying Nigeria.

According to her, it is of great concern because Addis is a hub and many Nigerians have adopted Ethiopian Airline as the airline of choice.

Regardless, the minister reiterated Nigeria’s commitment to strengthening bilateral relations with Ethiopia, assuring that the 4th Session of Nigeria-Ethiopia Joint Commission would soon hold in Abuja.

Responding, the Ethiopian Ambassador, said that the visa waiver agreement was still in place but needed ratification by the country’s House of Representatives.

That notwithstanding, Amb. Haile said that the Embassy had issued visas to Nigerians with official and diplomatic passports, pointing out that the problem is actually when the applicant is with the regular passport.

“The visa on arrival has neither been withdrawn nor abrogated,” he said, stressing, “We are very close to Nigeria. The Ethiopian Government views the Federal Republic of Nigeria as a very strategic partner.”

He also thanked the Nigerian Government for the additional seven slots recently approved for the Ethiopian Airline on the Lagos route.

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

News

Cameroon’s President, Paul Biya Set To Get A Vice President For The First Time In His 43-Year Rule

Published

on

Cameroon’s president, Paul Biya, is set to get a vice president for the first time in his four-decade rule, following controversial constitutional changes backed by the parliament.

In a ‌joint session of the ruling party-dominated National Assembly and Senate, lawmakers voted 200 to 18 in favour, with four abstentions, to pass the bill.

The bill stipulates that the vice president will ​automatically assume the presidency if President Paul Biya dies, resigns, or becomes incapacitated.

Biya, ​93, has led the Central African country since 1982 and is the world’s oldest serving head of state. Public discussion about ​his health is banned.

According to the legislation, a copy of which was seen by ​Reuters, the vice president will be appointed and dismissed by the president, serving for the remainder of the president’s seven-year term.

However, the interim leader would be prohibited from initiating constitutional changes or ​running in a subsequent election.

Prior to the amendment, the constitution designated the leader of the Senate to briefly take over in case the sitting president d!es or is incapacitated. An election would then be held.

The Social Democratic Front (SDF) party, which has six representatives in parliament, boycotted the vote. It had pushed for a revision in favour of the vice-president being jointly elected with the president, rather than appointed.

The party also sought a constitutional provision that reflects the linguistic split between English and French-speaking regions. The SDF wanted the nation’s top two posts to be shared between Cameroon’s two communities, which was the position before 1972.

“This constitutional reform could have been a moment of political courage, but it is nothing less than a missed historic opportunity,” SDF chairman Joshua Osih said.

Continue Reading

News

Nigerians Expect Everything Free, Roads And Light, But Don’t Want To Pay Tax — Minister Wike

Published

on

 

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has highlighted the ongoing challenges of tax collection, pointing out the disparity between citizens’ expectations and the reality of government revenue.

Speaking with TVC NEWS live, he stressed that while Nigerians expect quality infrastructure and services, there is widespread reluctance to contribute through taxes.

On the difficulty of generating revenue, Wike said: “To collect tax, you know it’s not an easy thing. I don’t know how many of you here like to pay tax. Nigerians want everything for free. They want road, they want light. It is not easy.”

He further stated; “When I came to Abuja we were about 8, 9 billion. The money we get from the federal government is 1% of the allocation of federal government. So if federal government gets 1 trillion for example, they’ll give us one percent which is ten billion naira and that cannot carry the society. Our salary in a month is not less than 12–13 billion, so we must augment. How do we augment?”

Addressing public criticism, he added: “There’s no ab¥se that any politician has received than me. I think after the president, I’m the highest ab¥sed. There’s nothing we do that we won’t get ab¥sed. Well, what is important to me is that I want to be concentrated to do the job.”

On oversight and accountability, Wike explained how closely he monitors the finances: “The money we have gotten from tax challenge me, minister FCT, what are you doing? I’ll show you as I sit here.”

Continue Reading

Trending