News
Nobody marginalizing Igbos, stop fighting war that ended 56 years ago – Gov Soludo
Governor Chukwuma Soludo of Anambra State has claimed that no section of the country is marginalizing the Igbos, urging people of the South-East to stop fighting a war that ended 56 years ago, instead to embrace peace and full participation in nation-building.
Soludo made the remarks on Thursday during the wreath-laying and parade ceremony to mark the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day celebration at the Alex Ekwueme Square, Awka, where he also commended President Bola Tinubu for what he described as renewed vigour and seriousness in tackling terrorism and other forms of insecurity across the country.
The governor expressed confidence that with the increased commitment of the Federal Government, the lingering security challenges confronting the nation would be decisively overcome.
He paid tribute to President Tinubu as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, noting that insecurity had festered for nearly two decades and was almost becoming a new normal before the current administration’s renewed efforts.
According to him, the collaboration among the armed forces and other security agencies had given fresh hope that terrorism would be finally dealt with. He praised the President for the resolve shown so far and urged him to sustain the momentum.
Soludo, however, expressed concern over what he described as the low interest shown by people of Anambra State and the South-East in general in enlisting into the Nigerian Army and Police Force.
He warned that such attitude was counter-productive and amounted to self-marginalisation, stressing that a nation could not be built by citizens who chose to opt out of its core institutions.
He revealed that during the last recruitment exercises into the army and the police, Anambra recorded the lowest expression of interest in the country, a development he described as worrisome.
The governor called on youths in the state to enlist in the armed forces, stressing that Nigeria belonged to all its citizens and that full ownership of the country required active participation.
Soludo said if the trend continued, future generations would complain of the absence of officers of Anambra or Igbo extraction in the security architecture of the country, despite having refused to participate when opportunities were available.
He insisted that nobody was marginalizing the Igbo, adding that exclusion often resulted from deliberate withdrawal from national responsibilities.
He said: “The Police is working hard, the army; you’re working hard, but Anambra people and the rest of the South East this is the moment that we have to tell ourselves that the Civil War has ended and the Civil War ended 56 years ago.
“Because our youths from the South East and particularly from Anambra the last recruitment into the Army and even into the Police Anambra and the South East are the lowest in the country.
“I want to use this opportunity to call on our youths to enlist in the Armed forces of Nigeria and Nigeria belongs to all of us and we cannot be full members but at the same time get out and this is one area that we have been marginalizing ourselves.
“We refused to enter the Police and the armed forces, then in a few decades to come we will turn around to complain that there are no officers of Anambra extraction or Igbo extraction, so we must participate equally as equal owners of project Nigeria.
Soludo also took a swipe at the activities of miscreants in the South East contending that no human being lives in the forest but in houses.
“I want to also call on our brothers and few sisters who are in the bushes and in the forest and so called camps and some say they are liberators but this people are criminals, they are kidnappers and territories.
“They are not liberating anybody they are facades so come out because human beings don’t live in the bushes or forests.
“Human beings live in houses the terror era is and must be over and we have extended olive branch to the remnants, the few left to come out and we will help them to become useful productive citizens of the country.
‘We use this opportunity once again to extend the olive branch. As we celebrate the Armed forces day today, we call on you to lay down your arms because the civil war is over.
“We cannot continue the civil war through other means and it is not just for those of them in the South East but for the entire Nigeria who describe themselves by other ways, call it bandits all over the country”
“It is time to build Nigeria to realize it’s manifest destiny and not just the largest populous nation on earth but the most progressives nation on earth,” he said.
The event was attended by commanders of security agencies in the state including; the Commissioner of Police in Anambra State Command, CP Ikioye Orutugu.
Business
Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG
The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.
Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks
“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.
The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.
If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.
Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country
News
Cameroon’s President, Paul Biya Set To Get A Vice President For The First Time In His 43-Year Rule
Cameroon’s president, Paul Biya, is set to get a vice president for the first time in his four-decade rule, following controversial constitutional changes backed by the parliament.
In a joint session of the ruling party-dominated National Assembly and Senate, lawmakers voted 200 to 18 in favour, with four abstentions, to pass the bill.
The bill stipulates that the vice president will automatically assume the presidency if President Paul Biya dies, resigns, or becomes incapacitated.
Biya, 93, has led the Central African country since 1982 and is the world’s oldest serving head of state. Public discussion about his health is banned.
According to the legislation, a copy of which was seen by Reuters, the vice president will be appointed and dismissed by the president, serving for the remainder of the president’s seven-year term.
However, the interim leader would be prohibited from initiating constitutional changes or running in a subsequent election.
Prior to the amendment, the constitution designated the leader of the Senate to briefly take over in case the sitting president d!es or is incapacitated. An election would then be held.
The Social Democratic Front (SDF) party, which has six representatives in parliament, boycotted the vote. It had pushed for a revision in favour of the vice-president being jointly elected with the president, rather than appointed.
The party also sought a constitutional provision that reflects the linguistic split between English and French-speaking regions. The SDF wanted the nation’s top two posts to be shared between Cameroon’s two communities, which was the position before 1972.
“This constitutional reform could have been a moment of political courage, but it is nothing less than a missed historic opportunity,” SDF chairman Joshua Osih said.
News
Nigerians Expect Everything Free, Roads And Light, But Don’t Want To Pay Tax — Minister Wike
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has highlighted the ongoing challenges of tax collection, pointing out the disparity between citizens’ expectations and the reality of government revenue.
Speaking with TVC NEWS live, he stressed that while Nigerians expect quality infrastructure and services, there is widespread reluctance to contribute through taxes.
On the difficulty of generating revenue, Wike said: “To collect tax, you know it’s not an easy thing. I don’t know how many of you here like to pay tax. Nigerians want everything for free. They want road, they want light. It is not easy.”
He further stated; “When I came to Abuja we were about 8, 9 billion. The money we get from the federal government is 1% of the allocation of federal government. So if federal government gets 1 trillion for example, they’ll give us one percent which is ten billion naira and that cannot carry the society. Our salary in a month is not less than 12–13 billion, so we must augment. How do we augment?”
Addressing public criticism, he added: “There’s no ab¥se that any politician has received than me. I think after the president, I’m the highest ab¥sed. There’s nothing we do that we won’t get ab¥sed. Well, what is important to me is that I want to be concentrated to do the job.”
On oversight and accountability, Wike explained how closely he monitors the finances: “The money we have gotten from tax challenge me, minister FCT, what are you doing? I’ll show you as I sit here.”
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
