Connect with us

Education

NSUK Assigned My UTME Number To Another Student For NYSC Call-Up -Graduate

Published

on

“I am depressed knowing someone has reaped the labour of my four years. This person used my registration number to serve and I believe he must have been using that NYSC certificate to work and make a living. Look at me, the owner of the number he/she used. I have graduated, but I cannot serve; what value do my results have? Not going to school is better than what is happening to me. I feel like ending it all.

“Upon completion of my studies, I attempted to enroll for NYSC, but all my applications were unsuccessful. I went back to the school in July 2024 to find out why. A list was brought to me, and I was told that I had already served in 2019. I explained that it was impossible for me to have served in 2019, but the Data Entry Officer, Idris Dahiru, refused to listen.

“I visited the JAMB Zonal Office in Abuja, where biometric verification confirmed me as the legitimate owner of the registration number in question. I was told to return to my school because my registration number had been used to mobilize another person.

“When I took this information to the Student Affairs Division, they assured me they would investigate and asked me to return later. But after several follow-ups, they stopped responding to my calls.

“The VC’s Special Assistant, Gbadamosi, wrote a note and placed it in my file, asking me to go back to Student Affairs. But when I got there, the Student Affairs officer dismissed the note, saying even if the VC got involved, they were the ones who would advise him on the matter.

“I contacted somebody in JAMB, and some other people who advised me against regularisation, saying it would make my admission invalid and my results useless. On September 4, 2024 I wrote a letter to the JAMB Registrar. I went there and they confirmed that I was the original owner of the number. On September 5, I wrote to NYSC headquarters. I went there too, and I was told there was no need for me to submit a letter because they only work with lists from schools. But I insisted that the person moblised with my number did it illegally and the NYSC should be interested in the matter as a reputable organisation. The letter was later taken from me. After a week, a lady called me from NYSC and said she had spoken to the student affairs officer of my school, asking me to go back to my school.

“When I went back, the data entry officer of my school, Idris Dahiru, made jest of me. He said if I like, I should report the matter anywhere in the world, that they would still refer me to them. He insisted that it is either I do JAMB regularisation or nothing. I immediately went to the office of the VC to see him on my matter but I wasn’t allowed that day. They referred me back to the students’ affairs. There, I was told I should stop proving stubborn, that I was not the only one affected and that others whose numbers were used to moblise others have done regularisation.

“I appeal to the relevant authorities to intervene and ensure justice. This injustice must be corrected. I should not be made to suffer for something I knew nothing about.” -Adamu Sunday, Economics Graduate With Punch Newspapers

 

Education

NANS Vows Action Against Sponsored Misinformation Targeting FUTO, Its Leadership

Published

on

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has vowed to take urgent action against some persons it said are cooking up and sponsoring falsehood against the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) and its leadership.

NANS took the position in a release signed by Comr. Olushola Oladoja, NANS President, and Comr. Nduka Chibueze (Paparazzi), NANS Director of Travel and Exchange, and made available to the media on Saturday.

“The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has observed with deep concern the activities of some unscrupulous and mischievous elements who appear to be acting in concert to tarnish the image and credibility of our institution, the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), and its leadership through the circulation of false, misleading and malicious information across various online platforms.

“These individuals, whose actions clearly suggest a calculated agenda driven by selfish interests and external influence, have continued to propagate unfounded claims capable of bringing the institution into disrepute and misleading members of the public.

“It is unfortunate that certain persons have chosen to allow themselves to be used as instruments of propaganda and destabilization against an institution that represents the collective pride and aspiration of thousands of students and alumni.

“We wish to state categorically that such coordinated attempts to blackmail, ridicule, or undermine the institution and its leadership will not be tolerated henceforth. The university’s integrity and reputation must not be sacrificed on the altar of personal interest, sponsored misinformation, or politically motivated attacks.

“The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) remains committed to protecting the image, unity, and values of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), and will continue to resist every desperate attempt aimed at causing disaffection within the institution, using every legitimate mechanism and arsenal within our disposition.

“We have activated the forces of Aluta to identify and expose the charlatans involved. Our aim is to deal with them in a manner that serves the overall interest of our institution. This should act as a deterrent to anyone whose actions are aimed at destroying the institutional reputation we all worked to build. Forewarned is forearmed,” NANS maintained.

Continue Reading

Education

NYSC Official Arrested Over Female Corper’s D3ath After Abortion

Published

on

An official of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Ogun State, Abass Olalekan, has been arrested in connection with the de@th of a female corps member.

The corps member, Victoria Ariyo, serving under the Abeokuta South Local Government Area (LGA) of the NYSC, reportedly d!ed last Tuesday after undergoing abortion.

It was gathered that the corps member had terminated her pregnancy and d!ed from complications that followed the procedure.

Her remains were buried at Kobape Cemetery on Kobape-Sagamu Road in Abeokuta.

According to Daily Trust, Ariyo’s d3ath came barely a month after another female corps member, Adeleye Mary, d!ed in what has been described as mysterious circumstance.

Mary, who was serving under the same Abeokuta South LG, was attached to the Ogun State Television (OGTV) as her Place of Primary Assignment (PPA).

A source told the publication that both deceased corps members were friends.

“The first lady d!ed at her residence, which is not far from her PPA. They found her lifeless body in the apartment and, up till now, nobody can tell the cause of her d3ath,” the source said.

However, the second corps member who d!ed on Tuesday was said to have died from complications arising from an abortion procedure.

It was alleged that the NYSC official, who is the Local Government Inspector (LGI) for Abeokuta South, Abass Olalekan was culpable in the process leading to the corps member’s d3ath.

Sources told the publication that the LGI was allegedly involved in a romantic relationship with the deceased, which eventually led to pregnancy, and it was the termination that led to her d3ath.

“That is the fact in issue,” a police source who confirmed the NYSC official’s arrest told Daily Trust on Thursday.

The police source said the development raises questions about the legality of romancing “someone that should be in your care.”

Confirming Olalekan’s arrest, the source said, “He is in our custody at the command’s headquarters, Eleweran, Abeokuta.”

The police source, however, said there is no connection between the current incident and the one that occurred last month.

Spokesperson for the police in the state, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, confirmed death of Ariyo and said that the investigation was ongoing.

However, he failed to respond to questions on the arrest of the LGI and the alleged involvement.

“I can confirm that the case of the demise of Victoria Ariyo is under investigation by the State Criminal Investigation Department,” Babaseyi said in a terse statement.

Continue Reading

Education

Teacher Reportedly Suspended In Kebbi After Rejecting Ramadan Palliative

Published

on

A classroom teacher in Kebbi State, Abduljalal Usman, has reportedly been suspended for three months without salary after rejecting a Ramadan palliative reportedly distributed by the state government.

The teacher allegedly declined the offer of one mudu of maize and one mudu of millet and also criticized what he described as poor governance in the state.

According to claims circulating online, the action was taken under the administration of Nasir Idris, prompting criticism from some commentators who described the suspension as an attempt to silence dissent and punish a public worker for speaking out.

Critics argue that educators deserve better working conditions, fair compensation, and respect, rather than disciplinary action for expressing their views.

@Mallam_jabeer who shared the report, said …

“A classroom teacher in Kebbi, Abduljalal Usman has been suspended for 3 months without salary simply for rejecting one mudu of maize and one mudu of millet offered as Ramadan palliative from the government and for speaking out against the bad governance.

 

Under the leadership of
@NasiridrisKG
, the Kebbi State Government is now punishing teachers for refusing humiliation and for criticizing the weaponization of poverty.

This is bias, incompetence and total abuse of power.

 

Continue Reading

Trending