Politics
Osun: APC disputes Adeleke’s 250,000 job claim
The All Progressives Congress, APC, in Osun State has dismissed the claim of creation of 250,000 jobs in the last two years as declared by the state governor, Ademola Adeleke.
The party reacting through Kola Olabisi, its Director of Media and Information, said the claim was false and criticised the governor for his failure to employ teachers and health workers in the state’s public schools and hospitals.
The party said, “Is it not funny and strange that Governor Ademola Adeleke, who could not employ teachers and health workers for three years in his administration, is now thinking it wise to recruit 10,000 Imole Youth Corps members?”
He emphasised the shortage of teachers in public schools and the understaffing in public hospitals as key concerns, questioning why the governor was prioritising the recruitment of youth corps members when basic services were lacking.
“Claim of 250,000 job opportunities in two years is a fake story. We sympathise with the applicant-teachers swindled into purchasing employment forms by the PDP-led administration in Osun State, who have been waiting for three years without any indication of recruitment under Adeleke’s government,” Olabisi added.
Governor, Ademola Adeleke, had on Thursday declared that his administration had created approximately 250,000 jobs over the past two years, attributing the achievement to local content policies and financial support for businesses.
Speaking in Osogbo during the induction of 10,000 youths into the Imole Youth Corps, Adeleke stated that the initiative was part of his broader plan to tackle unemployment.
The scheme he said engaged youths from the 332 political wards in Osun to provide services in health, security, environment, and education.
He said, “Our administration is focused on tackling the unemployment crisis. We note the widespread joblessness among the youth.
“Our first decision is to create an enabling environment for job creation by both the government and the private sector.”
He described the programme as a transitional arrangement designed to equip young people with skills and opportunities across different sectors.
“Today’s gathering is a continuation of our efforts to provide job opportunities for our teaming youth,” he added.
The governor assured the newly enrolled Imole Youth Corps members that they would receive training to deliver essential services in their assigned roles. He urged them to show dedication and professionalism in their duties.
Adeleke highlighted some of his administration’s key strategies to boost employment, including financial support for small businesses and infrastructural development. He said that over N4bn had been committed to a revolving loan scheme for grassroots entrepreneurs.
“I am happy to announce that through our local content policy, financial access to businesses, and ongoing youth agropreneur programme, over 250,000 of our population were provided job opportunities,” Adeleke stated.
According to him, job creation efforts would be further expanded as the state government launched an agropreneur project in each of the 30 local government areas and area councils.
The Commissioner for Youth Development, Moshood Olagunju, also insisted that the administration had a structured approach to employment generation and that its policies had positively impacted various sectors.
He confirmed that a performance evaluation system would be put in place to assess the success of the Imole Youth Corps and other employment initiatives.
“We are committed to transparency and results. The performance evaluation system will ensure that every initiative meets its objectives,” Olagunju said.
Politics
Imo ADC Screens and Clears 50 Aspirants, Sets Stage for Party Primaries
By Ihezie Dede Walax
The Imo State chapter of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) has successfully concluded the screening exercise for aspirants seeking to contest various elective positions under the platform of the party ahead of the forthcoming primary elections scheduled for Thursday, May 21, 2026.
The screening exercise, which took place at the party’s designated venue, was conducted in strict compliance with the provisions of the Electoral Act as amended, as well as the constitution, guidelines, and internal democratic procedures of the African Democratic Congress. The exercise covered aspirants vying for the State House of Assembly, House of Representatives, and Senate seats across the state.
Party leaders and aspirants described the exercise as transparent, credible, and orderly, noting that all aspirants underwent thorough verification of credentials, eligibility requirements, and compliance with party regulations. At the end of the process, no fewer than fifty aspirants were officially screened and cleared to participate in the party primaries.
The development marks another major step in the party’s preparations for the 2027 general elections, as the ADC continues to strengthen its internal structures and promote a democratic culture founded on fairness, accountability, and equal opportunity for all contestants.
Speaking shortly after the screening exercise, the Imo State Chairman of the party, Prof. James Okoroma, commended members of the screening committee for conducting what he described as a professional, transparent, and impartial assignment. He stated that the successful completion of the screening process demonstrates the commitment of the party leadership to credible internal democracy and strict adherence to constitutional procedures.
Prof. Okoroma further urged all cleared aspirants to maintain decorum, unity, and mutual respect throughout the primary process. According to him, the strength of the ADC lies in its discipline, transparency, and collective vision to provide responsible leadership for the people of Imo State and Nigeria at large.
He also assured party faithful that the forthcoming primaries would be free, fair, and credible, emphasizing that the party remains committed to providing every qualified aspirant with a level playing ground. He encouraged supporters and party leaders to conduct themselves peacefully and uphold the integrity of the party throughout the exercise.
The state chairman expressed confidence in the growing acceptance of the ADC across the state, noting that the increasing number of aspirants and supporters joining the party reflects public trust in the party’s ideology, leadership direction, and commitment to good governance.
Several aspirants who participated in the screening exercise expressed satisfaction with the transparency of the process and reaffirmed their commitment to supporting the party irrespective of the outcome of the primaries. They described the ADC as a progressive political platform committed to good governance, people oriented policies, youth inclusion, and sustainable development.
With the successful conclusion of the screening exercise, attention has now shifted to the party primaries, where registered party members will decide through direct primaries the candidates who will fly the party’s flag in the 2027 general elections.
ADC — Arise and Shine
Ihezie Dede Walax
DG, Imo ADC New Media
Politics
2027: More Than 50 Lawmakers Lose APC Reps Tickets in Major Primary Election
No fewer than 50 members of the 10th House of Representatives are unlikely to be part of the 11th Assembly after losing out in the All Progressive Congress (APC) primaries held on Saturday.
This marks one of the largest turnovers of sitting federal lawmakers since 2015 and signals intensifying internal competition within the ruling party eight months to the 2027 general elections.
While House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas (Kano) and Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu (Abia) successfully defended their tickets, several ranking and long-serving lawmakers were defeated, exposing strong anti-incumbent sentiment and the decisive role of state governors in candidate selection.
Major casualties
One of the biggest upsets was the defeat of House Majority Leader Julius Ihonvbere in Edo State’s Owan Federal Constituency. He polled 1,005 votes out of 7,587 cast, finishing third behind Andrew Ijegbia, who scored 3,695 votes. Abdul Oroh placed second with 1,740 votes.
In Delta State, veteran lawmaker Nicholas Mutu, who has represented Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency since 1999, lost his re-election bid. Ngozi Okolie also lost the Aniocha/Oshimili ticket to former House Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu.
Cross River State recorded one of the highest casualty rates, with five of eight incumbents failing to secure re-nomination.
They include three-term member Mike Etaba (Obubra/Etung), Godwin Offiono (Ogoja/Yala), Emil Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase), and Bassey Akiba (Odukpani/Calabar Municipality).
Only Peter Akpanke, Joseph Bassey, and Victor Abang won return tickets.
In Plateau State, conflicting results in Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam Federal Constituency triggered early confusion. One returning officer declared challenger John Tongshinen winner with 29,968 votes against incumbent Yusuf Gagdi’s 5,849.
The APC Plateau State primaries committee, chaired by Stella Okotete, later dismissed that declaration as unauthorised and affirmed Mr Gagdi as the authentic winner with 29,207 votes.
At a press briefing, Mrs Okotete stated that Nandom Kura was the recognised returning officer. “The returning officer approved by my committee that has gone to do fake declaration is null and void,” she said.
Other significant losses occurred in Ogun State (at least five incumbents, including Deputy Chief Whip Ibrahim Isiaka and Tunji Akinosi) and Ekiti State (three sitting members).
Politics
PDP to screen Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday as its sole Presidential aspirant For 2027 race
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Tanimu Turaki, SAN, has scheduled to screen former president Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow, Tuesday, aMay 19, as the lone presidential candidate of party.
According to a statement from the PDP faction backed by the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, Former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former governor of Plateau State, Jona Jang and a former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tom Ikimi have been listed among a committee of 14 members to screen Jonathan described as a lone candidate by the party.
Other members of the committee were Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenin, Dr. Abdul Bulama, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Edo State PDP chairman, Tony Aziegbemi, Dr. Sunday Solarium and Chief Anicho Okoro, who would serve as administrative secretary of the committee.
Last week, the national Publicity Secretary of the faction, Ini Ememobong, disclosed that former president Jonathan has successfully registered as a member of the party in the fresh digital registration exercise directed by INEC.
The PDP faction also announced that it was set to screen 748 house of representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial aspirants, and 112 governorship aspirants.
The screening committee would screen 2122 states houses of assembly aspirants. The exercise will commence tomorrow, Tuesday in different states.
According to the statement, the screening exercise would take place nationwide on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m.
The statement said the Interim National Working Committee (iNWC) has also released the names of members to serve on the Screening Committees and Screening Appeal Panels.
It added that the publication of the screening details “is in accordance with the party’s guidelines and timetable for the conduct of the 2027 general elections.”
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
