Connect with us

News

Outrage as police free officers accused of killing seven traders in Lagos

Published

on

Three policemen accused of killing seven traders at the Owode-Onirin Motor Spare Parts Market in Lagos have been released.

The suspected land grabber linked to the violent incident has also been granted bail, sparking outrage among families of the victims and human rights advocates.

Relatives of the deceased lamented that authorities were demanding exorbitant fees for postmortem examinations before releasing the bodies of their loved ones, compounding their grief.

Ekwutosblog had reported that the incident occurred on August 30, 2025.

A suspected land grabber had allegedly led operatives of the Nasarawa State Police Command to launch a deadly assault on traders at the market.

Sources disclosed that after the killings, the three officers were moved to Abuja instead of facing disciplinary action in Lagos, where the crime took place.

“The policemen were from the Nasarawa command. They were brought to Lagos by the suspected land grabber. After the shootings, they were taken to Abuja for an orderly room trial, but the Provost freed them on claims of self-defence,” a source said.

It was also alleged that the decision to exonerate the officers was influenced by the relationship between the Provost and the Nasarawa State Commissioner of Police, though this claim could not be independently confirmed.

The suspected mastermind, identified as Abiodun Ariori, was also released after filing a bail application at the High Court while in detention at the State Criminal Investigation Department. The police reportedly failed to oppose the application, allowing him to regain his freedom.

Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, condemned the development, vowing to take legal action if the police failed to prosecute those responsible.

“If the police are not willing to prosecute, we will. The offence was committed in Lagos, so there was no justification for transferring the case to Abuja. If they are claiming self-defence, they should make that claim in court,” Falana said.

Meanwhile, the victims’ families have accused the authorities of neglect, injustice, and extortion.

Moruf Olayemi, uncle to one of the deceased, Akinboye Oluwaseyi, described the demand for payment before postmortems as exploitative.

“We were told there are about 600 bodies in the morgue, and if our association pays, the process will be done quickly. But that means families will bear the cost. Meanwhile, the land grabber has been freed. It shows there is no justice in Nigeria. When you have money, you can act with impunity. The poor are always the victims. Oluwaseyi left behind three children, aged seven, five, and two,” he lamented.

Owolabi Ganiu, the employer of another victim, Wale Adebayo, accused the authorities of monetising the postmortem process and criticised both state and local governments for their silence.

“Not even a condolence visit has come. This is about human lives. We call on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to intervene. Adebayo left behind a three-year-old child, and his mother-in-law suffered a stroke after his death,” he said.

Abiodun Temilola, who lost his son Abraham, decried the situation as unfair.

“They should release his body to us if they are not ready to conduct the postmortem. Abraham had no issues with the police. We cannot afford the amount they are demanding,” he stated.

Biliaminu Adeoye, father of another victim, Akeem Adeoye, described the demands as cruel.

“Asking us for huge sums in this condition is wickedness,” he said.

The Chairman of the Owode-Onirin Motor Spare Parts Market, Abiodun Ahmed, urged the families to remain patient, assuring them that the government would eventually handle the postmortems.

“We were informed that some funds might help speed up the process, but it’s not as though the police are demanding money directly from us,” he explained.

Ahmed also confirmed that the alleged land grabber had been granted bail on medical grounds after filing suits against the police, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, and the market association.

He noted that security operatives had since been deployed to the market to protect traders and prevent further unrest.

When contacted, the Lagos Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Adebisi, said she was hearing about the case for the first time and promised to get back to the correspondent.

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

News

Cameroon’s President, Paul Biya Set To Get A Vice President For The First Time In His 43-Year Rule

Published

on

Cameroon’s president, Paul Biya, is set to get a vice president for the first time in his four-decade rule, following controversial constitutional changes backed by the parliament.

In a ‌joint session of the ruling party-dominated National Assembly and Senate, lawmakers voted 200 to 18 in favour, with four abstentions, to pass the bill.

The bill stipulates that the vice president will ​automatically assume the presidency if President Paul Biya dies, resigns, or becomes incapacitated.

Biya, ​93, has led the Central African country since 1982 and is the world’s oldest serving head of state. Public discussion about ​his health is banned.

According to the legislation, a copy of which was seen by ​Reuters, the vice president will be appointed and dismissed by the president, serving for the remainder of the president’s seven-year term.

However, the interim leader would be prohibited from initiating constitutional changes or ​running in a subsequent election.

Prior to the amendment, the constitution designated the leader of the Senate to briefly take over in case the sitting president d!es or is incapacitated. An election would then be held.

The Social Democratic Front (SDF) party, which has six representatives in parliament, boycotted the vote. It had pushed for a revision in favour of the vice-president being jointly elected with the president, rather than appointed.

The party also sought a constitutional provision that reflects the linguistic split between English and French-speaking regions. The SDF wanted the nation’s top two posts to be shared between Cameroon’s two communities, which was the position before 1972.

“This constitutional reform could have been a moment of political courage, but it is nothing less than a missed historic opportunity,” SDF chairman Joshua Osih said.

Continue Reading

News

Nigerians Expect Everything Free, Roads And Light, But Don’t Want To Pay Tax — Minister Wike

Published

on

 

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has highlighted the ongoing challenges of tax collection, pointing out the disparity between citizens’ expectations and the reality of government revenue.

Speaking with TVC NEWS live, he stressed that while Nigerians expect quality infrastructure and services, there is widespread reluctance to contribute through taxes.

On the difficulty of generating revenue, Wike said: “To collect tax, you know it’s not an easy thing. I don’t know how many of you here like to pay tax. Nigerians want everything for free. They want road, they want light. It is not easy.”

He further stated; “When I came to Abuja we were about 8, 9 billion. The money we get from the federal government is 1% of the allocation of federal government. So if federal government gets 1 trillion for example, they’ll give us one percent which is ten billion naira and that cannot carry the society. Our salary in a month is not less than 12–13 billion, so we must augment. How do we augment?”

Addressing public criticism, he added: “There’s no ab¥se that any politician has received than me. I think after the president, I’m the highest ab¥sed. There’s nothing we do that we won’t get ab¥sed. Well, what is important to me is that I want to be concentrated to do the job.”

On oversight and accountability, Wike explained how closely he monitors the finances: “The money we have gotten from tax challenge me, minister FCT, what are you doing? I’ll show you as I sit here.”

Continue Reading

Trending