Connect with us

Trending

Protest hits Enugu over detention of LP lawmaker-elect

Published

on

Some residents of Enugu on Monday stormed the International Conference Centre, venue of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) conference, to protest the continued incarceration of a lawmaker-elect, Barr Bright Ngene.

The Labour Party lawmaker-elect is the winner of Enugu South Urban 1 House of Assembly seat.

An Enugu South Magistrate’s Court, presided over by E. D. Onwu, on July 28, 2024 sentenced Ngene to seven years’ imprisonment over alleged community development fund scandal.

But at the NBA conference venue, the protesters, who described themselves as constituents and friends of Ngene chanted freedom songs and displayed placards with inscriptions: “NBA Please Save Our Democracy”, “Enugu State Judiciary Must be Independent from Executive”, “Oppression is injustice, free Barr Bright Ngene”, “NBA, It’s Bright Ngene today. It could be any Lawyer Tomorrow”, “Injustice to one Lawyer is injustice to all Lawyers”,among others.

The protesters said they decided to embark on the peaceful protest as a last resort to call the attention of the NBA members to the plight of their colleague, Barr Ngene, who they alleged was wrongly convicted and sentenced to seven years imprisonment by an Enugu State Magistrate’s Court.

Addressing journalists, spokesperson of the protesters, Mr. Benedict Kachukwu said, “As you can see, we are here, these are friends of Barr Bright Ngene, who was unjustly incarcerated.

“We are here to register our peaceful protest to tell the world what has been happening in Enugu state for the past one year and since the 28th of July 2024, Hon Bright Emeka Ngene that won the House of Assembly seat Enugu South Urban has been unjustly incarcerated.

“Charges that were put on him were baseless, judicial process was not followed and in less than two weeks judgement was dispensed. And the man has been in detention since then till now.

“Efforts to get the matter to the High Court has proved abortive because somehow judges are now recusing themselves from the case. The Chief Judge has refused to assign the case to a new judge.

“So ever since then till now this man, Hon Bright Ngene has been in detention for no just cause. All because he won an election, an election he won on a free ground where the people of Enugu South Urban 1 have given him their mandate freely.

“Somehow he has reaffirmed the decision of the mandate of the people on the 16th of August 2025 where he won overwhelmingly again even from detention.”

Kachukwu said they were at the NBA conference venue to plead with the NBA to look into the matter so that judicial process will be followed.

He made it clear that they were not afraid of going through the judicial process, noting that they had consistently asked the Chief Judge to assign the case no matter what could be the outcome of the judgement.

“But up till now we have not seen, we have not heard and the case has been in comatose at the State High Court.

“Several judges have recused themselves. I can recall on 11th of March 2025 one of the judges called for the judgement from the Magistrate Court, but on the day of the sitting, he now said that he was recusing himself from the case.

“And ever since then till now, the case has not been assigned to any judge. That means the man has been languishing in jail for nothing.

“We have written to every organ of NBA as we speak, but there has not been any kind of response from them. As I speak to you Barr Ubani Monday is aware of this case and he is here; Femi Falana, he just drove in, he is aware of this case, he is here. Top SANs are aware of this case and they are here.

“So we have done all we could do, we decided to resort to coming here to beg. We are not here to fight, we are not here to quarrel, we are here to beg, please let this man be freed so that he can go and represent the people that voted him in the House of Assembly,” he said.

Many observers believe that Barr Ngene’s ordeal is political and in connection with the House of Assembly seat.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending