The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.
Trending
Protest rocks Lagos over Trade Fair demolition by state govt
Hundreds of traders, predominantly of Igbo origin, under the umbrella of the Trade Fair Stakeholders Association, staged a protest on yesterday over the demolition of their business premises at the Lagos International Trade Fair Complex, which they described as “willful, malicious, and illegal.”
Carrying placards with inscriptions such as “Stop destroying our properties,” “Our buildings are FG approved,” and “This complex is regulated by the Federal Government,” the aggrieved traders accused the Lagos State Government of flouting due process and acting beyond its powers.
Ekwutosblog had earlier reported that more than 19 buildings at the New Mandela Plaza within the complex were pulled down in a large-scale demolition exercise executed under heavy security.
The operation, supervised by officials of the state government, was backed by task force operatives, Rapid Response Squad personnel, and tactical teams who cordoned off the plaza and prevented traders from documenting the incident.
Speaking to journalists, Chief Eric Ilechukwu, Chairman of the Stakeholders’ Forum, alleged that state officials stormed the complex on September 25 “in commando style” and destroyed several structures without issuing any contravention notices.
He insisted that the demolished buildings were lawfully approved by the Lagos International Trade Fair Complex Management Board, the statutory authority empowered by federal law to regulate activities within the complex.
“The lease agreements we signed clearly state that the Board is the approving and supervising authority for all constructions here. At no time were we served contravention notices,” Ilechukwu said.
The traders condemned the demolitions as a “grave injustice” that had displaced hundreds of business owners, causing enormous financial losses in an already difficult economy. They also dismissed comments by the Lagos State Commissioner for Information, Gbenga Omotoso, who claimed on national television that the affected traders had long been directed to obtain state approvals.
According to them, “the Trade Fair Complex is a federal property established by law and governed under the Lagos International Trade Fair Complex Management Board Act. Its ownership cannot be usurped by the state.”
Appealing for urgent intervention, the traders urged President Bola Tinubu and the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment to step in, stressing that they remain committed to peace and lawful business operations.
One of the affected businessmen, Mr Ike Magnus, CEO of Magnum Merchandise Limited, said his flagship “white building” was demolished despite valid federal approvals.
“In all honesty, we are victims of when two elephants fight. I have lost millions. Even if we are part of the problem, due process should have been followed,” he said tearfully.
The Executive Director of the Lagos International Trade Fair Management Board, Vera Safiya Ndanusa, who later addressed the protesting traders, sympathized with their plight and reaffirmed that the complex remains under federal control.
“It is unfortunate that we were not carried along before this incident. But I assure you that all relevant ministries and agencies have been notified. The property belongs to the Federal Government, and we intend to resolve this matter amicably,” Ndanusa stated.
Trending
Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu
President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.
In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”
While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.
He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.
‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.
The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.
The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.
Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said
Trending
OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE
May 14, 2026
The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.
This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.
Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.
Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.
RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.
The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.
The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.
RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.
Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.
The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.
Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)
Trending
Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)
Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.
In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.
After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.
The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
