Connect with us

Trending

Senator Natasha Responds To Akpabio’s Defamation Petition To Police IG, Cites Fear For Her Safety

Published

on

But Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, speaking through her legal counsel Victor Giwa, said her comments were not made for political leverage but out of genuine fear for her safety.

The suspended senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has strongly responded to a formal petition filed by Senate President Godswill Akpabio, in which she is accused of criminal defamation and incitement over allegations of an assassination plot.

But Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, speaking through her legal counsel Victor Giwa, said her comments were not made for political leverage but out of genuine fear for her safety.

“She has received the petition and has responded,” Giwa said. “What happened when she made that statement was her crying out to the general public to understand what she is exposed to.”

Giwa also criticised what he called a deliberate act of endangerment by Senate leadership, alleging that Natasha’s security details were withdrawn immediately after her suspension.

 

“You are aware that the Senate President ordered the withdrawal of her security,” Giwa noted.

“If somebody has committed gross misconduct, what has that got to do with the withdrawal of her security? She is a politically exposed person. You stopped her from entering the Senate, fine. But she has a life outside the complex. She is entitled to protection.”

Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan was suspended from the Senate for six months under controversial circumstances earlier this year.

Ekwutosblog  on Thursday reported that Senate President Godswill Akpabio had formally petitioned the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, seeking an investigation into an alleged assassination plot made against him by Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan.

In the petition dated April 3, 2025, Akpabio denied the serious accusation and called for the prosecution of Akpoti-Uduaghan for criminal defamation.

The petition, which was also copied to the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), comes after Akpoti-Uduaghan’s public outburst on April 1, 2025.

During a speech in Kogi State, Akpoti-Uduaghan accused Akpabio of instructing former Kogi State Governor Alhaji Yahaya Bello to assassinate her in Kogi State, claiming that the act was intended to make it appear that her constituents were responsible for her death.

Akpabio categorically denied the accusation, calling it a “heinous lie” and a “reckless and deliberate attempt” to tarnish his reputation.

In his petition, the Senate President labelled the allegation as politically motivated, accusing Akpoti-Uduaghan of attempting to incite political unrest and damage his public image.

He stressed that the allegation was made without any supporting evidence.

The Senate President also highlighted the severe impact of the false allegation, especially given its widespread coverage across media platforms, including radio, television, and social media. He urged law enforcement agencies to treat the matter with the seriousness it deserves.

He said, “I write to formally bring to your attention and seek immediate investigation and prosecution of a criminally defamatory and malicious statement made against me by Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, a suspended member of the Nigerian Senate on the 1st of April, 2025 and which was widely publicised on radio stations, televisions and newspapers, including the social media.

“In the public outburst at Kogi State while addressing her audience, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan falsely alleged that I instructed the former Governor of Kogi State, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, to “assassinate her in Kogi State instead of Abuja” with the intent of making it appear that her constituents were responsible for her death.

“This statement is not only a heinous lie but a reckless and deliberate attempt to damage my reputation, endanger my life and security, and incite political unrest.

 

“I categorically state that this allegation is entirely false, unfounded, and politically motivated. It is a calculated act of blackmail and character assassination, designed to portray me as a political villain, and the statement was made without any shred of truth or supporting evidence.”

He further added that the statement was intended to manipulate public sentiment and malign his person and office.

“Her motive was clear, which was to incite the public, manipulate sentiments, and malign my person and office in the eyes of the Nigerian people and the international community,” he said.

“The severity of this false allegation, and the fact that it has gained public traction, makes it necessary that law enforcement agencies treat it with the urgency it deserves.”

In the petition, Akpabio called for the “immediate investigation into the false and inciting allegation” and the prosecution of “Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan under the relevant provisions of the law for criminal defamation, incitement, false accusation, and conduct likely to cause a breach of peace”.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending