Connect with us

SportsNews

Son Heung-min to leave Tottenham this summer after decade

Published

on

Son Heung-min

Tottenham captain Son Heung-min said on Saturday that he will leave the club this summer after a decade in north London.

The 33-year-old attacker joined the Premier League side from Bayer Leverkusen in 2015 and went on to play more than 450 times for Spurs.

In May he lifted the Europa League trophy but he had a poor season overall by his high standards and struggled with a series of leg injuries.

“Before we start the press conference I wanted to say I have decided to leave the club this summer,” the South Korean told reporters in Seoul, where Tottenham are on a pre-season tour.

“Respectfully the club is helping me with this decision.”

Son, who has scored 173 goals for Spurs, did not say where he intends to go next and cut an emotional figure.

He has been linked with a move to the MLS in the United States.

“It was the most difficult decision I have made in my career. Such amazing memories. It was so hard to make the decision,” Son said, flanked by new Tottenham boss Thomas Frank.

“I need a new environment to push myself. I need a little bit of change — 10 years is a long time. I came to north London as a kid, 23 years old, such a young age.

“I leave this club as a grown man, a very proud man.”

Speaking in Korean, Son said that winning a European trophy — Tottenham’s first European crown in 41 years — played “a big part” in his thinking.

“Winning a title in Europe felt like I had achieved everything I possibly could,” he said.

“I spent a lot of time reflecting on whether I wanted to experience football in a different environment, and I had those conversations with myself over and over again.”

Frank, who joined Spurs from Brentford in June, paid tribute to the South Korean skipper.

“For me, personally, I would have loved to have worked with this fantastic person and player,” said the Dane, who took over from the sacked Ange Postecoglou.

“He is a true Spurs legend in every aspect, one of the greatest players to play in the Premier League.”

Spurs will face Newcastle United on Sunday in Seoul, and Son is guaranteed a rapturous reception in front of his home fans.

Spurs have had a fairly quiet summer in the transfer market so far, with attacking midfielder Mohammed Kudus from West Ham their only major acquisition.

Morgan Gibbs-White had looked set to follow from Nottingham Forest but a £60 million move broke down.

AFP

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SportsNews

Chelsea mathematically out of title race after 3-0 defeat to Everton

Published

on

Chelsea are now mathematically out of the Premier League title race.

This follows their 3-0 drubbing in the hands of Everton at the Hill Dickinson Stadium on Saturday night.

Liam Rosenior’s men came into the match with 48 points, looking to keep pace with the teams in front of them.

However, Beto opened the scoring for the hosts in the first half, before adding a second after the break.

Chelsea barely threatened Everton and looked flat for most of the game, before Iliman Ndiaye added a third.

The result means the Blues cannot match the 70 points that league leaders Arsenal currently have with seven matches left.

Champions Liverpool are also on the verge of being mathematically ruled out, as they have 49 points.

Continue Reading

SportsNews

Super Eagles player bounced me from Iheanacho’s room — Osimhen

Published

on

Galatasaray striker, Victor Osimhen, has claimed that a senior member of the Super Eagles squad in 2017 sent him away from a hotel room during his first call-up to the national team.

According to the 27-year-old, it was Kelechi Iheanacho who intervened and welcomed him inside.

Osimhen revealed this while appearing on a Twitch livestream with comedian, Carter Efe in the early hours of Saturday.

He said: “When I came, I met Iheanacho. And I told him, ‘ah, see me, I’m gonna carry your boots.’ So he said I should come to his room so, he gave me his room number.

“So, as I got to his room — I don’t just want to mention the name — he had a roommate. So, as I knocked on the door, the roommate opened the door. So, he like bounced me out of the room.”

Osimhen refused to reveal the identity of the player who sent him away.

Continue Reading

SportsNews

AFCON 2025; Drama as Senegal Reportedly Relocates Trophy To Military Base After CAF Decision (Video)

Published

on

Drama as Senegal reportedly relocates AFCON trophy to military base after Confederation of African Football (CAF) viral decision.

‎It would be recalled that CAF stripped Senegal of their Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) title, awarding it to Morocco instead.

This decision came after Morocco appealed the result of the January 18 final, where Senegal won 1-0 in extra time.

‎ According to the CAF Appeal Board, Senegal had forfeited the match due to their players walking off the pitch in protest of a penalty awarded to Morocco, citing Articles 82 and 84 of the AFCON regulations.

The controversy surrounds the AFCON final, where Senegal’s players walked off the pitch in protest of a late penalty awarded to Morocco.

In a clip circulating on the microblogging platform, X (formerly Twitter), a young man with glasses is seen holding the AFCON trophy surrounded by military personnel.

The clip captures the military personnel’s excitement as they support the trophy, with an officer recording the moment.

In a recent development, Senegal has announced plans to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), with some officials and players expressing outrage and disappointment.

The Senegalese government has also called for an international investigation into suspected corruption within CAF.

Watch video below……

Continue Reading

Trending