Connect with us

Education

Take-It-Back Movement Demands Police Arrest Of Fake NECO Official Who Sneaked Into Lagos Centre, Stole Property

Published

on

The incident occurred on Monday, April 28, 2025, and has left students, staff, and rights groups outraged over the ease with which the suspect infiltrated the learning environment and exploited it for theft.

The Lagos State chapter of the Take-It-Back (TIB) Movement has demanded urgent action from the Nigerian police following a troubling incident at a tutorial centre in Lagos where a man, posing as a NECO registration consultant, allegedly stole a student’s phone before vanishing.

The incident occurred on Monday, April 28, 2025, and has left students, staff, and rights groups outraged over the ease with which the suspect infiltrated the learning environment and exploited it for theft.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the TIB described the act as “brazen” and “a violation of the safe learning environment every student deserves.”

“The Lagos State chapter of the Take It Back Movement strongly condemns the recent act of deception and theft that occurred at a tutorial centre on Monday, April 28, 2025,” the group said.

“This brazen incident involved an individual, presumed to be in his late 40s, who posed as a tutor and NECO registration consultant, only to exploit the trust of the staff and students for criminal purposes.”

A source at the centre, who identified himself as Master Timi, a lesson tutor, told SaharaReporters how the suspect cleverly manipulated the staff using the name of the centre’s director.

“My name is Master Timi, a lesson tutor. I am here to comment on an existing case concerning theft. A man in his late 40s came to our lesson posing as a tutor and also making enquiry of the NECO registration, which I was about to attend to him till he made mention of my director saying he had spoken to him before coming, which made me relent,” he said.

“So after the man spoke to my director, he was told that around 1pm he should return, but he said he was going to wait for my director. So with that, the man had a conversation with us using that as a method of distracting us, and after the assignment he came for, he decided to leave.”

According to Timi, just 15 minutes after the man left, a female student noticed her phone was missing.

“Exactly 15 minutes later, a student of mine realised that she couldn’t see her phone and decided to ask me. But after discovering the phone was not with me, she started crying, saying that the man took the phone. We rushed out looking for the person. Unfortunately for us, we couldn’t find the person. But what we know is that the man took the phone because immediately he left, the phone was switched off,” he explained.

The TIB’s Lagos Coordinator, Adekunle Adeyemi Taofeek, also known as Scotty Aluta, told SaharaReporters that the case had been formally reported to the Igando Police Station.

He confirmed that police officers had launched a manhunt for the suspect. “They (the police) said the people should hint them whenever they found him,” he added.

In its statement, the TIB reiterated its demand for swift justice: “Our movement stands firmly with the victims and demands immediate action from relevant authorities to investigate this act, identify the perpetrator, and ensure justice is served.”

The group further called on other tutorial centres and educational institutions across Lagos to strengthen their internal security. “We urge all educational institutions, tutorial centres, and learning hubs across Lagos and beyond to adopt enhanced security measures, including identity verification of visitors, to prevent a recurrence of such events.”

“As advocates for justice, youth development, and a secured future for all Nigerian students, we will continue to monitor this case and offer support to the affected individuals in any way necessary,” the statement concluded.

Members of the public with useful information about the suspect are urged to come forward to assist law enforcement.

 

Education

NANS Vows Action Against Sponsored Misinformation Targeting FUTO, Its Leadership

Published

on

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has vowed to take urgent action against some persons it said are cooking up and sponsoring falsehood against the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) and its leadership.

NANS took the position in a release signed by Comr. Olushola Oladoja, NANS President, and Comr. Nduka Chibueze (Paparazzi), NANS Director of Travel and Exchange, and made available to the media on Saturday.

“The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has observed with deep concern the activities of some unscrupulous and mischievous elements who appear to be acting in concert to tarnish the image and credibility of our institution, the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), and its leadership through the circulation of false, misleading and malicious information across various online platforms.

“These individuals, whose actions clearly suggest a calculated agenda driven by selfish interests and external influence, have continued to propagate unfounded claims capable of bringing the institution into disrepute and misleading members of the public.

“It is unfortunate that certain persons have chosen to allow themselves to be used as instruments of propaganda and destabilization against an institution that represents the collective pride and aspiration of thousands of students and alumni.

“We wish to state categorically that such coordinated attempts to blackmail, ridicule, or undermine the institution and its leadership will not be tolerated henceforth. The university’s integrity and reputation must not be sacrificed on the altar of personal interest, sponsored misinformation, or politically motivated attacks.

“The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) remains committed to protecting the image, unity, and values of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), and will continue to resist every desperate attempt aimed at causing disaffection within the institution, using every legitimate mechanism and arsenal within our disposition.

“We have activated the forces of Aluta to identify and expose the charlatans involved. Our aim is to deal with them in a manner that serves the overall interest of our institution. This should act as a deterrent to anyone whose actions are aimed at destroying the institutional reputation we all worked to build. Forewarned is forearmed,” NANS maintained.

Continue Reading

Education

NYSC Official Arrested Over Female Corper’s D3ath After Abortion

Published

on

An official of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Ogun State, Abass Olalekan, has been arrested in connection with the de@th of a female corps member.

The corps member, Victoria Ariyo, serving under the Abeokuta South Local Government Area (LGA) of the NYSC, reportedly d!ed last Tuesday after undergoing abortion.

It was gathered that the corps member had terminated her pregnancy and d!ed from complications that followed the procedure.

Her remains were buried at Kobape Cemetery on Kobape-Sagamu Road in Abeokuta.

According to Daily Trust, Ariyo’s d3ath came barely a month after another female corps member, Adeleye Mary, d!ed in what has been described as mysterious circumstance.

Mary, who was serving under the same Abeokuta South LG, was attached to the Ogun State Television (OGTV) as her Place of Primary Assignment (PPA).

A source told the publication that both deceased corps members were friends.

“The first lady d!ed at her residence, which is not far from her PPA. They found her lifeless body in the apartment and, up till now, nobody can tell the cause of her d3ath,” the source said.

However, the second corps member who d!ed on Tuesday was said to have died from complications arising from an abortion procedure.

It was alleged that the NYSC official, who is the Local Government Inspector (LGI) for Abeokuta South, Abass Olalekan was culpable in the process leading to the corps member’s d3ath.

Sources told the publication that the LGI was allegedly involved in a romantic relationship with the deceased, which eventually led to pregnancy, and it was the termination that led to her d3ath.

“That is the fact in issue,” a police source who confirmed the NYSC official’s arrest told Daily Trust on Thursday.

The police source said the development raises questions about the legality of romancing “someone that should be in your care.”

Confirming Olalekan’s arrest, the source said, “He is in our custody at the command’s headquarters, Eleweran, Abeokuta.”

The police source, however, said there is no connection between the current incident and the one that occurred last month.

Spokesperson for the police in the state, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, confirmed death of Ariyo and said that the investigation was ongoing.

However, he failed to respond to questions on the arrest of the LGI and the alleged involvement.

“I can confirm that the case of the demise of Victoria Ariyo is under investigation by the State Criminal Investigation Department,” Babaseyi said in a terse statement.

Continue Reading

Education

Teacher Reportedly Suspended In Kebbi After Rejecting Ramadan Palliative

Published

on

A classroom teacher in Kebbi State, Abduljalal Usman, has reportedly been suspended for three months without salary after rejecting a Ramadan palliative reportedly distributed by the state government.

The teacher allegedly declined the offer of one mudu of maize and one mudu of millet and also criticized what he described as poor governance in the state.

According to claims circulating online, the action was taken under the administration of Nasir Idris, prompting criticism from some commentators who described the suspension as an attempt to silence dissent and punish a public worker for speaking out.

Critics argue that educators deserve better working conditions, fair compensation, and respect, rather than disciplinary action for expressing their views.

@Mallam_jabeer who shared the report, said …

“A classroom teacher in Kebbi, Abduljalal Usman has been suspended for 3 months without salary simply for rejecting one mudu of maize and one mudu of millet offered as Ramadan palliative from the government and for speaking out against the bad governance.

 

Under the leadership of
@NasiridrisKG
, the Kebbi State Government is now punishing teachers for refusing humiliation and for criticizing the weaponization of poverty.

This is bias, incompetence and total abuse of power.

 

Continue Reading

Trending