Education
Take-It-Back Movement Demands Police Arrest Of Fake NECO Official Who Sneaked Into Lagos Centre, Stole Property
The incident occurred on Monday, April 28, 2025, and has left students, staff, and rights groups outraged over the ease with which the suspect infiltrated the learning environment and exploited it for theft.
The Lagos State chapter of the Take-It-Back (TIB) Movement has demanded urgent action from the Nigerian police following a troubling incident at a tutorial centre in Lagos where a man, posing as a NECO registration consultant, allegedly stole a student’s phone before vanishing.
The incident occurred on Monday, April 28, 2025, and has left students, staff, and rights groups outraged over the ease with which the suspect infiltrated the learning environment and exploited it for theft.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the TIB described the act as “brazen” and “a violation of the safe learning environment every student deserves.”
“The Lagos State chapter of the Take It Back Movement strongly condemns the recent act of deception and theft that occurred at a tutorial centre on Monday, April 28, 2025,” the group said.
“This brazen incident involved an individual, presumed to be in his late 40s, who posed as a tutor and NECO registration consultant, only to exploit the trust of the staff and students for criminal purposes.”
A source at the centre, who identified himself as Master Timi, a lesson tutor, told SaharaReporters how the suspect cleverly manipulated the staff using the name of the centre’s director.
“My name is Master Timi, a lesson tutor. I am here to comment on an existing case concerning theft. A man in his late 40s came to our lesson posing as a tutor and also making enquiry of the NECO registration, which I was about to attend to him till he made mention of my director saying he had spoken to him before coming, which made me relent,” he said.
“So after the man spoke to my director, he was told that around 1pm he should return, but he said he was going to wait for my director. So with that, the man had a conversation with us using that as a method of distracting us, and after the assignment he came for, he decided to leave.”
According to Timi, just 15 minutes after the man left, a female student noticed her phone was missing.
“Exactly 15 minutes later, a student of mine realised that she couldn’t see her phone and decided to ask me. But after discovering the phone was not with me, she started crying, saying that the man took the phone. We rushed out looking for the person. Unfortunately for us, we couldn’t find the person. But what we know is that the man took the phone because immediately he left, the phone was switched off,” he explained.
The TIB’s Lagos Coordinator, Adekunle Adeyemi Taofeek, also known as Scotty Aluta, told SaharaReporters that the case had been formally reported to the Igando Police Station.
He confirmed that police officers had launched a manhunt for the suspect. “They (the police) said the people should hint them whenever they found him,” he added.
In its statement, the TIB reiterated its demand for swift justice: “Our movement stands firmly with the victims and demands immediate action from relevant authorities to investigate this act, identify the perpetrator, and ensure justice is served.”
The group further called on other tutorial centres and educational institutions across Lagos to strengthen their internal security. “We urge all educational institutions, tutorial centres, and learning hubs across Lagos and beyond to adopt enhanced security measures, including identity verification of visitors, to prevent a recurrence of such events.”
“As advocates for justice, youth development, and a secured future for all Nigerian students, we will continue to monitor this case and offer support to the affected individuals in any way necessary,” the statement concluded.
Members of the public with useful information about the suspect are urged to come forward to assist law enforcement.
Education
Breaking: Tinubu Appoints 39 Year Old Professor As New Jamb Registrar
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Professor Segun Aina as the new Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), succeeding Professor Is-haq Oloyede, whose two-term tenure expires on July 31, 2026.
Professor Aina, who will be 40 in July, is a distinguished academic and systems expert with extensive experience in national examination systems, digital infrastructure, and public-sector institutional reform.
He holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Systems Engineering from the University of Kent, an MSc in Internet Computing and Network Security, and a PhD in Digital Signal Processing, both from Loughborough University, United Kingdom. He has also completed the Senior Management Programme at Lagos Business School.
A Professor of Computer Engineering at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Aina began his career with JAMB during his National Youth Service, gaining foundational experience in national admissions and data-driven institutional processes. These insights have shaped his ongoing contributions to examination reform and systems optimisation.
With over 15 years of post-graduation experience, Professor Aina operates at the intersection of technology, policy, and institutional transformation, advising federal and state governments on system design, digital transition, and operational reform. At 39, he became one of Nigeria’s youngest Computer Engineering professors and will now make history as JAMB’s youngest registrar.
He has served as a consultant to major examination bodies, including NECO, NABTEB, and various State Ministries of Education, providing expertise on ICT systems, examination integrity, and digital process optimisation.
Professor Aina is a member of several professional bodies, including the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
President Tinubu expects Professor Aina to bring to bear his vast experience, knowledge and practical insight into the operations of the Board, to take the critical educational organization beyond the laudable heights achieved by his predecessor.
Education
NANS Vows Action Against Sponsored Misinformation Targeting FUTO, Its Leadership
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has vowed to take urgent action against some persons it said are cooking up and sponsoring falsehood against the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) and its leadership.
NANS took the position in a release signed by Comr. Olushola Oladoja, NANS President, and Comr. Nduka Chibueze (Paparazzi), NANS Director of Travel and Exchange, and made available to the media on Saturday.
“The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has observed with deep concern the activities of some unscrupulous and mischievous elements who appear to be acting in concert to tarnish the image and credibility of our institution, the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), and its leadership through the circulation of false, misleading and malicious information across various online platforms.
“These individuals, whose actions clearly suggest a calculated agenda driven by selfish interests and external influence, have continued to propagate unfounded claims capable of bringing the institution into disrepute and misleading members of the public.
“It is unfortunate that certain persons have chosen to allow themselves to be used as instruments of propaganda and destabilization against an institution that represents the collective pride and aspiration of thousands of students and alumni.
“We wish to state categorically that such coordinated attempts to blackmail, ridicule, or undermine the institution and its leadership will not be tolerated henceforth. The university’s integrity and reputation must not be sacrificed on the altar of personal interest, sponsored misinformation, or politically motivated attacks.
“The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) remains committed to protecting the image, unity, and values of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), and will continue to resist every desperate attempt aimed at causing disaffection within the institution, using every legitimate mechanism and arsenal within our disposition.
“We have activated the forces of Aluta to identify and expose the charlatans involved. Our aim is to deal with them in a manner that serves the overall interest of our institution. This should act as a deterrent to anyone whose actions are aimed at destroying the institutional reputation we all worked to build. Forewarned is forearmed,” NANS maintained.
Education
NYSC Official Arrested Over Female Corper’s D3ath After Abortion
An official of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Ogun State, Abass Olalekan, has been arrested in connection with the de@th of a female corps member.
The corps member, Victoria Ariyo, serving under the Abeokuta South Local Government Area (LGA) of the NYSC, reportedly d!ed last Tuesday after undergoing abortion.
It was gathered that the corps member had terminated her pregnancy and d!ed from complications that followed the procedure.
Her remains were buried at Kobape Cemetery on Kobape-Sagamu Road in Abeokuta.
According to Daily Trust, Ariyo’s d3ath came barely a month after another female corps member, Adeleye Mary, d!ed in what has been described as mysterious circumstance.
Mary, who was serving under the same Abeokuta South LG, was attached to the Ogun State Television (OGTV) as her Place of Primary Assignment (PPA).
A source told the publication that both deceased corps members were friends.
“The first lady d!ed at her residence, which is not far from her PPA. They found her lifeless body in the apartment and, up till now, nobody can tell the cause of her d3ath,” the source said.
However, the second corps member who d!ed on Tuesday was said to have died from complications arising from an abortion procedure.
It was alleged that the NYSC official, who is the Local Government Inspector (LGI) for Abeokuta South, Abass Olalekan was culpable in the process leading to the corps member’s d3ath.
Sources told the publication that the LGI was allegedly involved in a romantic relationship with the deceased, which eventually led to pregnancy, and it was the termination that led to her d3ath.
“That is the fact in issue,” a police source who confirmed the NYSC official’s arrest told Daily Trust on Thursday.
The police source said the development raises questions about the legality of romancing “someone that should be in your care.”
Confirming Olalekan’s arrest, the source said, “He is in our custody at the command’s headquarters, Eleweran, Abeokuta.”
The police source, however, said there is no connection between the current incident and the one that occurred last month.
Spokesperson for the police in the state, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, confirmed death of Ariyo and said that the investigation was ongoing.
However, he failed to respond to questions on the arrest of the LGI and the alleged involvement.
“I can confirm that the case of the demise of Victoria Ariyo is under investigation by the State Criminal Investigation Department,” Babaseyi said in a terse statement.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
