Connect with us

EVENTS

Tension in Imo as collapsing judicial building scares away lawyers, litigants from court

Published

on

Court sittings have been temporarily suspended in Imo State High Court following an alleged shaking of one of the Federal High Court buildings suspected to have been caused by structural defects.

For their safety, the lawyers refused to enter the said building which is said to be one of the tallest in the premises.

It was gathered by our correspondent that the new Federal High Court buildings were built during the Rescue Mission administration of the former Governor, Rochas Okorocha.

Speaking to Journalists in front of the collapsing structure at the Federal High Court, the State Chairman of Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, Chris Ihentuge, announced that lawyers have suspended judiciary activities for one week in the said building until the proper maintenance is done, saying being in the collapsing building in the name of going to court poses great danger, as they cannot afford risking or losing their lives in a suicidal manner.

The NBA Chairman informed that the said building was having structural defects prior to occupation but regretted that the State Government, which promised to bring an expert to conduct an integrity test on the building with a view to fixing it, did not fulfill its promise.

 

He said, to stay safe, ”the NBA, Owerri branch, has warned lawyers and litigants, that it is risky using the shaking judiciary building, which he lamented has been very unseemly dangerous.

Ihentuge used the moment to call on the state government and other well-meaning members of society to quickly intervene to improve the judiciary for the good of humanity and the advancement of society.

According to Ihentuge, “I was reliably informed that as at yesterday (Thursday) while one of the courts was on, one of the buildings was vibrating. I have made calls to the Chief Registrar of the Federal High Court who confirmed that The Lord, Onyeukwu, had informed her of the incident. I also heard from another Judge that the building was terribly shaking two days ago while the court was sitting”.

He stressed that the issue had been lingering even before the building was put to use, confirming that
there were a lot of complaints about the structural defects in the building without any positive response.

“As at last 2 weeks when the Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma, had a media chat, I informed the Governor that this building is in bad shape. The Governor confirmed he had received that complaint and that he will do integrity test on the building and up till today nothing has happened

“We cannot risk our lives in the name of going to court. So, we are saying for now, we suspend, for one week, the use of this building, until the proper thing is done, which is, let experts come and certify the integrity test – that this building is fit” he further said.

The NBA State Chairman said he had notified lawyers and litigants that it is risky using the building as it is now.

“That is why we are complaining that a Chief Judge should be appointed for the Imo State Judiciary. A situation that, where we do not have a Chief Judge going to 3 months, is not acceptable. Because we cannot remain like this without a leader”, he maintained.

EVENTS

EID-EL-FITR: IGP DISU FELICITATES MUSLIM FAITHFUL, ORDERS NATIONWIDE DEPLOYMENT OF TACTICAL ASSETS

Published

on

 

​The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, psc(+), NPM, has extended warm felicitations to the Muslim faithful across Nigeria on the successful completion of the holy month of Ramadan and the celebration of Eid-el-Fitr.

​In furtherance of his commitment to ensuring a safe and secure environment during the festive period, the Inspector-General has directed Commissioners of Police and Tactical Commanders across all states of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory to implement robust security arrangements.
​Operational measures include:
​Strategic deployment of tactical teams and intelligence operatives.

​Deployment of the Special Intervention Squad and conventional police personnel to Eid prayer grounds and critical infrastructure.
​Increased presence at highways, motor parks, recreational centers, and other public spaces to ensure peaceful, hitch-free celebrations.

​The IGP has also ordered heightened visibility policing, coordinated patrols, enhanced surveillance operations, and intelligence-led stop-and-search duties. These actions are aimed at proactively deterring criminal activities and ensuring a swift response to any emerging threats.

​IGP Disu calls on members of the public to remain vigilant, cooperate with law enforcement agencies, and promptly report any suspicious activities to the nearest police station or through the following emergency lines:
​08057000001, 08057000002, 09133333785, and 09133333786.
​IGP Tunji Disu wishes all Muslim faithful a peaceful and joyous Eid-el-Fitr.

DCP ANTHONY OKON PLACID psc(+) mni
Force Public Relations Officer
Force Headquarters, Abuja
20th March, 2026

Continue Reading

EVENTS

Hon Success Opara celebrates Mothering Sunday with St. Peter women, hails them as the ‘neck that controls the household

Published

on

Hon Success Opara, former councilorship candidate for Ikenegbu Ward 2, celebrated Mothering Sunday with the women of St. Peter Anglican Church, Ikenegbu, extolling them as the backbone of their households.

He described them as the “neck that controls the household,” acknowledging their vital role in shaping families and communities.

Opara’s gesture is seen as a testament to his commitment to uplifting and empowering women.

The celebration, which coincided with the Christian observance of Mothering Sunday, featured fellowship and words of encouragement from Opara, who prayed for the women’s well-being.

This event highlights the importance of recognizing and appreciating mothers and mother figures in Nigerian society.

 

Continue Reading

EVENTS

“Early marriage is better than fornication” – Mixed reactions as young Nigerian couple trends after welcoming a child

Published

on

 

A young Nigerian couple are currently trending on Arewa social media circles after they welcomed their first child.

The pictures taken by a Kaduna-based photographer have sparked mixed reactions, with some people saying that the girl is underaged and not old enough to be a wife and mother.

Continue Reading

Trending