Connect with us

Politics

The Labour Party candidate for the Edo State governorship elections, Olumide Akpata, has condemned the decision of Governor Godwin Obaseki to swear in only five out of the eight new judges recommended for the Edo State High Court by the National Judicial Council (NJC).

Published

on

 

In a statement he personally signed, Akpata said it is regrettable that the achievements of the judges is being tarnished by the grave injustice they have endured at the hands of the Governor.

The former president of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), recalled that for nearly a year, the 8 legal professionals languished in an unconscionable career limbo, suffering immense financial hardship through loss of earnings owing to the refusal of the Governor to perform his constitutional duty to swear in all eight recommended Judges without any plausible justification.

According to Akpata, the fact that Obaseki has now proceeded to unilaterally select and swear in five out of the recommended eight judges is simply a tragedy and a travesty which has further rubbed salt on the injury, riding roughshod over another arm of government in clear violation of the principles of separation of powers and in the process, leaving the other three Judges and their families in a precarious dilemma.

The former NBA President, therefore, called on the National Assembly and the newly constituted Constitution Review Committees of both chambers of the Assembly to immediately initiate constitutional amendments that will permanently insulate the judicial appointment process from such reckless political interference.

Concrete safeguards, he said must also be established to forestall any recurrence of this invidious travesty, not just in Edo State but across the entire Federal Republic of Nigeria.

He also called on the citizens of Edo State to demand accountability, transparency, and an unwavering commitment to upholding the sanctity of the institutions from those who would presume to lead the state ahead of the 2024 governorship elections.

See the full statement below:

STATEMENT ON GOVERNOR GODWIN OBASEKI’S SWEARING-IN OF FIVE OUT OF EIGHT NEW JUDGES OF THE EDO STATE HIGH COURT

Around noon today, Friday, May 3rd, 2024, His Excellency, Governor Godwin Obaseki, the Executive Governor of Edo State, swore in five out of the eight new Judges recommended for the Edo State High Court by the National Judicial Council (NJC) at its 102nd meeting held on June 14th and 15th, 2023.

While one must congratulate the five newly sworn-in Judges on their well-deserved appointments, it is a matter of profound regret that their achievements, and those of the three Judges, who are yet to be sworn in, have been tarnished by the grave injustice they have endured at the hands of Governor Godwin Obaseki.

For nearly a year, these eight legal professionals languished in an unconscionable career limbo, with those previously in private practice suffering immense financial hardship through loss of earnings as they could not practice law as private practitioners having been recommended for appointment to the Bench.

To subject any human being or public servant, let alone prospective guardians of justice, to such indignities is totally unacceptable. And now, by swearing in only five out of the eight recommended Judges without any reason or explanation, Governor Obaseki has further rubbed salt on the injury, riding roughshod over another arm of government in clear violation of the principles of
separation of powers and in the process, leaving the other three Judges and their families in a precarious dilemma.

As a senior member of the Bar and a former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), I condemn, in the strongest possible terms, the reprehensible conduct of His Excellency, Governor Godwin Obaseki, who willfully failed and refused to perform his constitutional duty to swear in all eight recommended Judges for nearly a year without any plausible justification.The fact that he has now proceeded to unilaterally select and swear in five out of the recommended eight Judges is simply a tragedy and a travesty.

The laughable defence proffered by the Edo State Commissioner of Information and Strategy that petitions existed against the recommended Judges is an outright falsehood that defies credulity.

As a member, at the time, of the very NJC that recommended these eight appointments, I can state categorically that all petitions were treated before the candidates were screened, and the successful candidates were the ones who were recommended for appointment to the Bench.

It is a despicable act of calumny to besmirch the reputations of these innocent professionals merely to provide cover for the Governor’s dereliction of duty. The unvarnished truth is that Governor Obaseki’s refusal to swear in the eight recommended Judges for eleven months and his decision now, to swear in only five of the eight Judges, stem from his displeasure at the fact that the list did not include his preferred candidates.

Rather than respecting the NJC’s recommendation, he chose to grind the appointment process to a complete halt through sheer obstructionism.
Sadly, this is not an isolated incident but part of a disturbing pattern of Governor Obaseki’s flagrant disregard for due process and the separation of powers.

In 2019, he similarly obstructed attempts to swear in fourteen duly elected members of the Edo State House of Assembly, displaying the same contempt for democratic tenets and institutions. For one who claims to be a democrat, such autocratic conduct is utterly reprehensible, and quite unfortunately, these ignoble actions will stand out as his enduring legacy, which no amount of spinning or propaganda can alter.

It definitely is no coincidence that this sudden decision by the Governor to swear in only five out of the eight recommended Judges, is coming five months before the Edo State gubernatorial elections. It is simply emblematic of the deceitful, self-serving politics that have become a hallmark of Governor Obaseki’s PDP government, putting partisan interests above the rule of law and the interests of the people.

Such conduct strikes at the very heart of our democracy and the principle of separation of powers. It represents a contemptuous attempt to subjugate the judiciary to the whims of the executive, stripping it of its independence and reducing it to a mere appendage of the governing party’s agenda. This is prrecisely why I have been at the vanguard of the struggle for comprehensive judicial reforms to emancipate our judiciary from the suffocating grip of executive overreach at all levels of government.

I hereby call upon the National Assembly (NASS) and the newly constituted Constitution Review Committees of both chambers of the NASS to immediately initiate constitutional amendments that will permanently insulate the judicial appointment process from such reckless political interference. Concrete safeguards must be established to forestall any recurrence of this invidious travesty, not just in Edo State but across the entire Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Failing to do so risks inflicting irreparable damage to our democratic institutions and the fundamental rights of our citizens.

To the five newly sworn-in Judges, I reiterate my congratulations and urge M’Lords to embrace their new roles as beacons of justice, equality, and the rule of law.

Their integrity, impartiality, and commitment to upholding the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria will be the ultimate bulwark against the erosion of our cherished democratic principles and values.

The people of Edo State have endured enough. They deserve far better than the contemptuous disregard for due process that Governor Obaseki has displayed by first delaying for no reason the swearing-in of the eight recommended Judges and now swearing in only five out of the eight recommended Judges. As we approach the pivotal 2024 gubernatorial elections, we must demand accountability, transparency, and an unwavering commitment to upholding the sanctity of our institutions from those who would presume to lead us.

OLUMIDE OSAIGBOVO AKPATA
Past President of the Nigerian Bar Association
Candidate of the Labour Party, Edo 2024 Election

 

Politics

2027: More Than 50 Lawmakers Lose APC Reps Tickets in Major Primary Election

Published

on

 

No fewer than 50 members of the 10th House of Representatives are unlikely to be part of the 11th Assembly after losing out in the All Progressive Congress (APC) primaries held on Saturday.

This marks one of the largest turnovers of sitting federal lawmakers since 2015 and signals intensifying internal competition within the ruling party eight months to the 2027 general elections.

While House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas (Kano) and Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu (Abia) successfully defended their tickets, several ranking and long-serving lawmakers were defeated, exposing strong anti-incumbent sentiment and the decisive role of state governors in candidate selection.

Major casualties

One of the biggest upsets was the defeat of House Majority Leader Julius Ihonvbere in Edo State’s Owan Federal Constituency. He polled 1,005 votes out of 7,587 cast, finishing third behind Andrew Ijegbia, who scored 3,695 votes. Abdul Oroh placed second with 1,740 votes.

In Delta State, veteran lawmaker Nicholas Mutu, who has represented Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency since 1999, lost his re-election bid. Ngozi Okolie also lost the Aniocha/Oshimili ticket to former House Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu.

 

Cross River State recorded one of the highest casualty rates, with five of eight incumbents failing to secure re-nomination.

They include three-term member Mike Etaba (Obubra/Etung), Godwin Offiono (Ogoja/Yala), Emil Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase), and Bassey Akiba (Odukpani/Calabar Municipality).

Only Peter Akpanke, Joseph Bassey, and Victor Abang won return tickets.

In Plateau State, conflicting results in Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam Federal Constituency triggered early confusion. One returning officer declared challenger John Tongshinen winner with 29,968 votes against incumbent Yusuf Gagdi’s 5,849.

The APC Plateau State primaries committee, chaired by Stella Okotete, later dismissed that declaration as unauthorised and affirmed Mr Gagdi as the authentic winner with 29,207 votes.

At a press briefing, Mrs Okotete stated that Nandom Kura was the recognised returning officer. “The returning officer approved by my committee that has gone to do fake declaration is null and void,” she said.

Other significant losses occurred in Ogun State (at least five incumbents, including Deputy Chief Whip Ibrahim Isiaka and Tunji Akinosi) and Ekiti State (three sitting members).

 

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP to screen Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday as its sole Presidential aspirant For 2027 race

Published

on

 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Tanimu Turaki, SAN, has scheduled to screen former president Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow, Tuesday, aMay 19, as the lone presidential candidate of party.

According to a statement from the PDP faction backed by the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, Former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former governor of Plateau State, Jona Jang and a former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tom Ikimi have been listed among a committee of 14 members to screen Jonathan described as a lone candidate by the party.

Other members of the committee were Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenin, Dr. Abdul Bulama, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Edo State PDP chairman, Tony Aziegbemi, Dr. Sunday Solarium and Chief Anicho Okoro, who would serve as administrative secretary of the committee.

Last week, the national Publicity Secretary of the faction, Ini Ememobong, disclosed that former president Jonathan has successfully registered as a member of the party in the fresh digital registration exercise directed by INEC.

The PDP faction also announced that it was set to screen 748 house of representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial aspirants, and 112 governorship aspirants.

The screening committee would screen 2122 states houses of assembly aspirants. The exercise will commence tomorrow, Tuesday in different states.

According to the statement, the screening exercise would take place nationwide on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m.

The statement said the Interim National Working Committee (iNWC) has also released the names of members to serve on the Screening Committees and Screening Appeal Panels.

It added that the publication of the screening details “is in accordance with the party’s guidelines and timetable for the conduct of the 2027 general elections.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Oshiomhole wins Edo APC senatorial primaries unopposed

Published

on

A former governor and incumbent Senator, Adams Oshiomhole, along with his counterpart Senator Joe Ikpea, sailed through the All Progressives Congress senatorial primary in Edo unopposed, and securing their tickets without a single vote cast against them.

Also Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama emerged the winner in the APC primary for the Edo South senatorial district.

Ogbeide-Ihama won in the seven local government areas of Edo South in the results announced by the Chairman of APC National Assembly Primary Election, Muhammed Ajana at the Urokpota Hall, Benin.

He polled 27,154 votes while his opponents, Senator Neda Imasuen, got 13,580, and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu got 6785.

The elections were hitch-free in Edo North and Edo Central, where there was no contest against the incumbents, Senators Oshiomhole of Edo North and Ikpea of Edo Central, respectively.

Ajana at the Urokpota Hall said the collation arose from votes cast in the seven local government areas made up of 77 wards where elections were conducted by members of the committee.

He said, “There are seven local governments that make up the Edo South Senatorial District. We have heard from the Returning officers from the seven local government areas. From the collation, the cumulative result we have for Edo South Senatorial District is this; Ogbeide-Ihama with 27,154 votes, Imasuen with 13,580 votes and Ize-Iyamu with 6, 785.

“This is the total reflection of what has transpired from the ward level to the local government and the Edo South senatorial district collation centre. With this we await further directives from the National Secretariat, we have done our best by collating the results which is our mandate, to collate the results and send them to the National Secretariat.”

However, it was gathered that Ize-Iyamu emerged as the APC candidate for Edo South Senatorial race. He claimed to have clinched the party’s ticket after defeating Ogbeide-Ihama and Imasuen.

It was claimed that the Chief Returning Officer, Abubakar Muhammad Kabiru, officially declared Ize-Iyamu the winner after securing the highest number of votes cast.

On his part, the senator representing the district condemned the exercise describing it as a sham allegedly designed to favour a preferred aspirant.

Imasuen spoke while reacting to events at his polling unit in Umagbae North Ward 5, Urhokuosa where he said he was denied the opportunity to vote following what he described as a chaotic and manipulated process.

The lawmaker accused leaders of the party of openly adopting a preferred candidate ahead of the exercise and intimidating members into supporting that aspirant.

He said, “There is nothing satisfactory about this sham of election they did today and it is very unfortunate because as a loyal party member, I expected something better than this.”

He said the warning signs emerged days before the primary when some ward chairmen allegedly informed him that they had been directed not to receive him during consultations.

Imasuen claimed that some ward leaders openly told him the party had already adopted a preferred aspirant, identified as Hon. Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, making further consultations unnecessary.

Continue Reading

Trending