Connect with us

News

Trump drops Ukraine ceasefire demand after Putin summit

Published

on

Donald Trump on Saturday dropped his push for a ceasefire in Ukraine in favor of pursuing a full peace accord — a major shift announced hours after his summit with Russian leader Vladimir Putin yielded no clear breakthrough.

Prior to the high-stakes meeting in Alaska, securing an immediate cessation of hostilities had been a core demand of Trump — who had threatened “severe consequences” on Russia — and European leaders, including Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelensky, who will now visit Washington on Monday.

The shift away from ceasefire would seem to favor Putin, who has long argued for negotiations on a final peace deal — a strategy that Ukraine and its European allies have criticized as a way to buy time and press Russia’s battlefield advances.

Trump spoke with Zelensky and European leaders on his flight back to Washington, saying afterward that “it was determined by all that the best way to end the horrific war between Russia and Ukraine is to go directly to a peace agreement which would end the war.”

Ceasefire agreements “often times do not hold up,” Trump added on his Truth Social platform.

In the call, Trump expressed support for a proposal by Putin to take full control of two largely Russian-held Ukrainian regions in exchange for freezing the frontline in two others, an official briefed on the talks told AFP.

Putin “de facto demands that Ukraine leave Donbas,” an area consisting of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions in eastern Ukraine, the source said.

In exchange, Russian forces would halt their offensive in the Black Sea port region of Kherson and Zaporizhzhia in southern Ukraine, whose main cities are still under Ukrainian control.

Several months into its full-scale invasion of Ukraine, Russia in September 2022 claimed to have annexed all four Ukrainian regions even though its troops still do not fully control any of them.

“The Ukrainian president refused to leave Donbas,” the source said.

Trump notably also said the United States was prepared to provide Ukraine security guarantees, an assurance German Chancellor Friedrich Merz hailed as “significant progress.”

But there was a scathing assessment of the summit outcome from the European Union’s top diplomat Kaja Kallas, who accused Putin of seeking to “drag out negotiations” with no commitment to end the bloodshed.

“The harsh reality is that Russia has no intention of ending this war any time soon,” Kallas said.

– Zelensky back in White House –

The main diplomatic focus now switches to Zelensky’s talks at the White House on Monday.

An EU source told AFP that a number of European leaders had also been invited to attend.

The Ukrainian president’s last Oval Office visit in February ended in an extraordinary shouting match, with Trump and Vice President JD Vance publicly berating Zelensky for not showing enough gratitude for US aid.

Zelensky said Saturday after a “substantive” conversation with Trump about the Alaska summit that he looked forward to his Washington visit and discussing “all of the details regarding ending the killing and the war.”

In an interview with broadcaster Fox News after his sit-down with Putin, Trump had suggested that the onus was now on Zelensky to secure a peace deal as they work towards an eventual trilateral summit with Putin.

“It’s really up to President Zelensky to get it done,” Trump said. “And I would also say the European nations, they have to get involved a little bit, but it’s up to President Zelensky.”

– European pressure –

The leaders of France, Britain and Germany are due to host a video call Sunday for their so-called “coalition of the willing” to discuss the way forward.

In an earlier statement, they welcomed the plan for a Trump-Putin-Zelensky summit, but added that they would maintain pressure on Russia in the absence of a ceasefire.

“We will continue to strengthen sanctions and wider economic measures to put pressure on Russia’s war economy until there is a just and lasting peace,” the statement said.

Meanwhile, the conflict in Ukraine raged on, with Kyiv announcing Saturday that Russia had launched 85 attack drones and a ballistic missile during the night.

Back in Moscow, Putin said his summit talks with Trump had been “timely” and “very useful.”

“The conversation was very frank, substantive, and, in my opinion, brings us closer to the necessary decisions,” he said.

In his post-summit statement in Alaska, Putin had warned Ukraine and European countries not to engage in any “behind-the-scenes intrigues” that could disrupt what he called “this emerging progress.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

“It Was Sweet Blue Candy” – Hon Doguwa debunked rumour he’s a drvg add!ct

Published

on

 

He said, “The claim that I was taking drvgs or p;lls is nothing but the work of the d£vil and my political en3mies. What was actually in my mouth was just sweet blue candy.”

Hon. Alhassan Ado Doguwa is a Member of the House of Representatives representing the Tudun Wada/Doguwa Federal Constituency in Kano State under the All Progressives Congress (APC)..

What do you think???

Continue Reading

News

ALAOJI PLANT RETURNS TO NATIONAL GRID

Published

on

Alaoji Plant Returns To National Grid

 

The Niger Delta Power Holding Company has restored the 450-megawatt Alaoji Open Cycle Power Plant in Abia State after it remained shut for three years.

The facility had stopped operations due to gas supply problems, debt issues and disagreements over metering.

The company said the return of the plant is expected to improve electricity supply and strengthen power generation in the country.

The shutdown had affected output from the national grid for more than 36 months.


Officials explained that efforts were made to resolve the long-running disputes and stabilise gas supply before restarting operations at the plant.

The restoration is also expected to support businesses and industries relying on stable electricity.


The Alaoji facility is one of the major power plants in the country and plays a role in boosting energy distribution across several regions.

Its return comes as authorities continue pushing for better electricity generation nationwide.

Continue Reading

News

𝗛𝗢𝗡. 𝗧𝗢𝗦𝗞𝗔 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗗𝗘𝗠𝗡𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗞𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦, 𝗞𝗜𝗗𝗡𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗥𝗔𝗣𝗘𝗦 𝗜𝗡 𝗜𝗛𝗜𝗔𝗚𝗪𝗔, 𝗢𝗕𝗜𝗕𝗜𝗘𝗭𝗘𝗡𝗔, 𝗘𝗭𝗜𝗢𝗕𝗢𝗗𝗢, 𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗔𝗕𝗜𝗔𝗠, 𝗢𝗞𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗖𝗛𝗜, 𝗨𝗠𝗨𝗚𝗨𝗠𝗔, 𝗔𝗩𝗨 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗢𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗠𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗘𝗦: 𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗦 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗜𝗠𝗠𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗖𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡

Published

on

 

Hon. Sir Tochukwu Okere(TOSKA), Member Representing Owerri Federal Constituency, has strongly condemned the incessant gruesome killings, kidnappings, rapes and violent attacks carried out by unscrupulous and criminal elements terrorizing communities within Owerri Federal Constituency, especially in Ihiagwa, Obibiezena, Eziobodo, Emeabiam, Okolochi, Umuguma, Avu and other neighbouring communities.

The recent killings of vigilante operatives and innocent constituents at Umuguma and Ihiagwa call for urgent and deterrent response by our security agencies.

In a passionate motion raised before the Federal House of Representatives, Hon. Okere called on the Federal Government of Nigeria and relevant security agencies to immediately deploy adequate security personnel to the affected communities and take decisive actions against the worsening insecurity threatening the lives and properties of his people.

According to him, the continuous attacks on harmless villagers, farmers, women and youths can no longer be tolerated under any guise.

“I urge the Federal Government of Nigeria to urgently look into this motion and act swiftly before more innocent lives are lost. Our people deserve to live and to live in peace without fear of being kidnapped, raped or butchered in their own communities,” Hon. TOSKA stressed.

The lawmaker further emphasized that the people of Owerri Federal Constituency will not fold their arms and watch criminals continue to unleash terror across Ihiagwa, Obibiezena, Eziobodo, Emebiam, Okolochi, Umuguma, Avu and other communities while families continue to mourn their loved ones daily.

This courageous move by Hon. Sir Tochukwu Okere has continued to attract commendations from constituents who describe his intervention as timely, bold and people-oriented.

Hon. Okere is the light and the voice of Owerri Federal Constituency.
May God keep him to keep standing for us and for our interest.

 

Continue Reading

Trending