Connect with us

Trending

US tourist admits r@ping and murdering fellow traveller, 21, and pushing her friend, 22, off a cliff in Germany

Published

on

An American man today admitted to charges of murder and rape after he allegedly pushed two U.S. tourists down a ravine near Germany’s Cinderella castle last year.

On Monday, Troy Bohling, 31, admitted to charges of murder, rape with fatal consequences, attempted murder, and possession of child porn at the start of his trial in Germany. He was not named locally because of the country’s privacy laws.

The attack happened on June 14 last year near the Marienbruecke, a bridge over a gorge close to the castle that offers a view of Neuschwanstein castle.

Prosecutors say the defendant met by chance the two female tourists, Eva Liu and Kelsey Chang, aged 21 and 22, on a hiking path and lured them off the trail.

He attacked Liu first, attempting to undress and rape her before pushing her companion off of a slope with a 165ft drop, which caused her significant injuries.

During the course of the investigation, authorities found Bohling’s laptop and cellphone contained child pornography.

Defendants in the German legal system do not formally enter pleas to charges.

‘The defendant has committed an unfathomable crime,’ defense lawyer Philip Mueller said in a statement. The defendant, whose name hasn’t been released in line with German privacy rules, confirmed that his lawyer’s statement was correct but did not answer any questions.

A verdict in the case is expected in March.

Authorities say the women didn’t know the man before they met near Neuschwanstein. The suspect was arrested shortly after the attack.

Liu, from Naperville, Illinois and Chang, from Bloomington, Illinois, were on a European trip of a lifetime, having graduated University of Illinois.

The two recent graduates met Bohling as they visited the Neuschwanstein castle.

When Chang tried to help her, a scuffle ensued Bohling allegedly pushing her down a steep slope. She fell about 165 feet and sustained a head injury, bruises, and grazes but survived.

The suspect, from Lincoln Park, Michigan, then allegedly strangled Liu until she was unconscious and raped her, prosecutors said, before pushing her down the slope as well.

When mountain rescue workers found the two women, Chang was injured but able to talk.

The rape victim was seriously injured and taken by helicopter to hospital, where she died later that night as a result of her injuries.

Other tourists witnessed the assault and later filmed Bohling as he was led away in handcuffs by police.

Bohling photographed and filmed key scenes of the crime, German daily Bild reports.

The rescue operation and his subsequent arrest took place in front of hundreds of tourists, according to the publication.

Bohling lived with his brother Trevor in a single-story house about 20 minutes from Detroit.

Neighbors described him as ‘quiet’ and not very friendly and said the brothers were often away for long periods of time.

They assumed the pair worked in oil fields.

The brothers mostly stayed inside, only being seen outside to ‘walk their cat on a leash in the garden’, the neighbor added. ‘The family is weird.

Troy would never look you down in the eye when he came and went.

‘I’m shocked what he’s been accused of, I’m scared he may have done stuff here and no one has figured it out yet.’

In June, Mary Bohling, his mother, told Bild: ‘My son is not in Germany at all. We have to find out what happened – we won’t comment.’

Bohling attended Allen Park High School near Detroit with former classmates describing him as rather shy and inconspicuous.

Another person who only knew him briefly says that the alleged killer spent a lot of time playing the role-playing game ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ in the library in his hometown of Allen Park.

His former classmates at Allen Park High School near Detroit said he was a shy and inconspicuous boy that played in the school band and had a girlfriend.

A former friend of the alleged killer, who he had spent several summers in a camp with, said he was ‘introverted, shy, quiet and a little peculiar’ but ultimately friendly.

He said doing something like the attack in Germany would be unlike ‘the Troy he knew ten years ago.’

Court records show that in 2016 he faced a charge of embezzlement, but there was no prosecution and the matter was dropped.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending