The Senegalese government has also called for an international investigation into suspected corruption within CAF.
Watch video below……
Max Verstappen thinks Red Bull can forget about winning any championship in Formula 1 next year if it does not make good progress with its RB21 car.
While the Dutchman celebrated his fourth consecutive drivers’ title with Red Bull in 2024, he is well aware that success owed much to a dominant start to the campaign that gave him a comfortable buffer in the standings.
And it was the team’s subsequent dip in form that opened the door for McLaren to snatch the constructors’ crown for the first time since 1998.
While Red Bull did rediscover some form in the closing stages of the year, Verstappen acknowledged the competition is now so close that his outfit needs to take a good step forward for 2025.
OPINION: The F1 stories to look forward to in 2025’s expected close battle
Speaking about the prospects for next year in an interview with Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, Verstappen said: “If we continue like this, I won’t be champion next year. It’s as simple as that. We really need to make steps to be competitive next season. We all know that.
“I trust the team that they can fix the balance issues from last season. Certain things that we couldn’t adjust last year will be changed for next year.
“We know that we need to be better over the kerbs, bumps and in the slow corners. Those are generally our weaknesses. If we are still beaten then, it will be based on pure speed.
“I always keep the pressure on, also on myself. I try not to think too lightly about things. At one point the car was barely driveable. There was no more to get out of it than this.”
Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
Photo by: Red Bull Content Pool
Verstappen also revealed in the interview how his own input into the characteristics of the car at the Italian Grand Prix helped steer development of the RB20 back on track following the mid-season wobbles.
“All plans for new parts, which were to come after that [race in Monza], could be thrown into the bin,” he said. “The team actually started from scratch after that. Before that, they couldn’t find the exact problem.
“I saw a couple of graphics when we were looking at the data. I saw certain aerodynamic shifts in how we entered the corners, turned into corners and also in terms of ride heights.
“It was different from last year’s car. I said, ‘Hey, it’s very clear that this and this is the problem, isn’t it?’ That turned out to be right, I heard later on.
“I hadn’t seen those lines and those graphics before. I then said that it was quite clear what we had to work on, because the engineers obviously know exactly what had been changed from last year’s car.
“At the beginning of last season we were still winning our races convincingly, but I felt even then that the balance of the car did not feel the way I wanted it to.
“But, back then, we still had a big lead over the other teams, who might not have had a very good winter.”
Verstappen also had a cheeky dig at rivals, suggesting that some of their success was down to using tricks.
“Things happened in the background that meant we had no chance at all in certain races,” he said. “I know that for sure, but no one will ever admit that.”
Additional reporting by Ronald Vording
Chelsea are now mathematically out of the Premier League title race.
This follows their 3-0 drubbing in the hands of Everton at the Hill Dickinson Stadium on Saturday night.
Liam Rosenior’s men came into the match with 48 points, looking to keep pace with the teams in front of them.
However, Beto opened the scoring for the hosts in the first half, before adding a second after the break.
Chelsea barely threatened Everton and looked flat for most of the game, before Iliman Ndiaye added a third.
The result means the Blues cannot match the 70 points that league leaders Arsenal currently have with seven matches left.
Champions Liverpool are also on the verge of being mathematically ruled out, as they have 49 points.
Galatasaray striker, Victor Osimhen, has claimed that a senior member of the Super Eagles squad in 2017 sent him away from a hotel room during his first call-up to the national team.
According to the 27-year-old, it was Kelechi Iheanacho who intervened and welcomed him inside.
Osimhen revealed this while appearing on a Twitch livestream with comedian, Carter Efe in the early hours of Saturday.
He said: “When I came, I met Iheanacho. And I told him, ‘ah, see me, I’m gonna carry your boots.’ So he said I should come to his room so, he gave me his room number.
“So, as I got to his room — I don’t just want to mention the name — he had a roommate. So, as I knocked on the door, the roommate opened the door. So, he like bounced me out of the room.”
Osimhen refused to reveal the identity of the player who sent him away.
Drama as Senegal reportedly relocates AFCON trophy to military base after Confederation of African Football (CAF) viral decision.
It would be recalled that CAF stripped Senegal of their Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) title, awarding it to Morocco instead.
This decision came after Morocco appealed the result of the January 18 final, where Senegal won 1-0 in extra time.
According to the CAF Appeal Board, Senegal had forfeited the match due to their players walking off the pitch in protest of a penalty awarded to Morocco, citing Articles 82 and 84 of the AFCON regulations.
The controversy surrounds the AFCON final, where Senegal’s players walked off the pitch in protest of a late penalty awarded to Morocco.
In a clip circulating on the microblogging platform, X (formerly Twitter), a young man with glasses is seen holding the AFCON trophy surrounded by military personnel.
The clip captures the military personnel’s excitement as they support the trophy, with an officer recording the moment.
In a recent development, Senegal has announced plans to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), with some officials and players expressing outrage and disappointment.
The Senegalese government has also called for an international investigation into suspected corruption within CAF.
Watch video below……
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
NYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
Mexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
Putin invites 20 world leaders
Russia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI