Connect with us

Politics

Where Is Tinubu? – Nigerians Lambast Presidency For Keeping Mute On Leader ‘Absent Without Official Leave’

Published

on

May 4, 2024

NEWS
SaharaReporters had on Thursday exclusively reported Tinubu’s unannounced trip to Paris, France in what multiple sources confirmed was for medical reasons.

The silence of Nigeria’s presidency about President Bola Tinubu’s unofficial trip to France has revived raging debates over concerns and secrecy of the president’s state of health.

SaharaReporters had on Thursday exclusively reported Tinubu’s unannounced trip to Paris, France in what multiple sources confirmed was for medical reasons.

“The President is in France to see his doctors,” a source had said.

An investigation by SaharaReporters had revealed that a Nigerian presidential aircraft, a Gulfstream Aerospace GV-SP (G550) with registration number 5N-FGW and serial number 5310 (Mode-S 0640F2) with Tinubu onboard arrived at Paris Airport-Le Bourget, France around 04:00pm on Thursday from an airport in London.

The President on Tuesday morning left Saudi Arabia – where he attended the World Economic Forum – for London.

A statement issued last week by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale said the special WEF meeting in Riyadh would end on Monday, April 29.

“After his engagements in the Netherlands, President Tinubu will proceed to attend a special World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting scheduled for April 28-29 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia,” the statement had read.

Meanwhile, in the statement, the Presidency carefully left out information about when Tinubu was expected back in Nigeria after the international forum or that he would visit the UK and France after leaving Saudi Arabia.

Also, the Presidency has been silent on President Tinubu’s whereabouts since the international summit ended on Monday, April 29.

Efforts to reach Mr Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information & Strategy, for comments and clarification failed as he did not answer calls from SaharaReporters. He also did not reply to messages sent to his mobile phone.

However, SaharaReporters learnt that the 5N-FGW (Gulfstream Aerospace) which was operated as Nigerian Air Force 1 – meaning the President was on board – left Riyadh International Airport on Tuesday, April 30 at 12:05 am (02:05 am Saudi Arabian time) and arrived at Stansted Airport, London at 06:35 am, UK time.

EXCLUSIVE: Tinubu Lands In France ‘For Medical Reasons’ As Presidency Keeps Mute On His Whereabouts Since World Economic Forum Ended Monday In Saudi
May 02, 2024
Image

The jet was used to replace the Boeing Business Jet (Boeing 737-700) 5N-FGT that is still in Germany for repairs.

Meanwhile, some Nigerians have taken over the social media to demand the whereabouts of Tinubu who has not been seen in public since he met with Microsoft Founder and Philanthropist, Bill Gates at the World Economic Forum Special Meeting in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia last Sunday, April 28.

The president who was supposed to make a public address to Nigerian civil servants on May 1 workers’ day was nowhere in sight.

Also, the President didn’t attend the last Federal Executive Council, FEC meeting.

Recently, the Vice President, Kashim Shettima has been attending and taking charge in so many occasions where Tinubu himself should have shown up.

Meanwhile, some Nigerians have declared the President Absent Without Official Leave (AWOL).

They wondered why Tinubu has refused to return to Nigeria after the WEF meeting ended in Saudi Arabia on Monday.

Some of them who took to the social media platform, X (formerly Twitter) said:

Paul Ibe, @OfficialPaulIbe said, “The whereabouts of Nigerian president must never be a subject of speculation. If Tinubu is in France for medicals, as reported by @SaharaReporters, or elsewhere, Nigerians deserve to know. After all, he is our property and is spending state resources.”

Tweet URL

DauDuSheshi, @MrGEO01 wrote, “The citizens must be allowed to know the status of their President and his medical conditions.

Every citizen is entitled to lead the Nation but it will be wrong for the President to be under serious medical need and keep that hidden from the citizens. We cant keep staying in dark.”

Tweet URL

Abayomi, @thebearsze said, “The president has been AWOL for a week. LMAO. This is what you people fought for? What you destroyed friendships and community for?The more things change, the more they stay the same.”

CHIDYE, @gentlechidye wrote, “This is why there was no address on Workers Day!”

Rhatti Bwoy, @donballen wrote, “Who knew our president has been awol for a week lol.”

Eighth wonders of the world, @gabrielonyebu10 wrote, “”I built Lagos” don run go hide for France for medical reason. Them no dey build hospital for Lagos? Ndi mgbu”

Tweet URL

Thomas NOT Sankara, @Isidore0001 said, “We knew he is awol for medical check up. This is no news, rather a pattern.”

Tweet URL

@ajaGunSEgun_ wrote, “For whatever reason, if Nigerians continue to allow political office holders to travel abroad for medical treatment or send their children to foreign universities, etc., meaningful development in both sectors will be impossible.”

john_though, @hey_watever wrote, “Tinubu’s first year: The dollar soars, petrol prices skyrocket, and the cost of living is unbearable. The minimum wage barely covers a bag of rice.

What progress has been made? Where is the ‘work’ we were promised?”

Tweet URL

Before the 2023 general elections, Tinubu’s health was a source of concern for many Nigerians.

SaharaReporters had reported how the former Lagos governor spent over four months patronising hospitals in France, the United States and the United Kingdom where he underwent several surgeries between 2020 and 2022.

He was flown out of the country some days before Christmas in 2020 to Paris, France. The President returned to Nigeria on January 24, 2021, after a month’s absence from Nigeria.

He also went for a medical check-up in France in June 2021 and was conspicuously absent from a one-day working visit of then-President Muhammadu Buhari to Lagos State. Tinubu, amidst death rumours, was forced to return to the country on Tuesday, June 15, 2021.

SaharaReporters also reported that Tinubu was hospitalised in Maryland, the United States in July 2021. On August 9, the APC leader had another knee surgery at the Johns Hopkins University Hospital in Maryland, U.S.

The APC chieftain, it was learnt, left the U.S. for the United Kingdom on crutches, a few days after the surgery

Sources close to Tinubu had told SaharaReporters that he wanted the surgery in Paris, France but changed his plan over rumours of his death.

In August, his predecessor, President Buhari paid a visit to Tinubu in London and the latter was seen with a walking stick during Buhari’s visit, confirming SaharaReporters’ story that he had undergone surgery in the US.

Upon his return in October 2022, Tinubu confirmed that he underwent surgery on his right knee as well as post-surgery physiotherapy on the said knee during his medical trip abroad.

SaharaReporters also reported how the President, after the May 29, 2023 swearing-in became exhausted and went on a bed rest.

SaharaReporters also exclusively reported that Tinubu returned to France to see his doctors, weeks before his inauguration on May 29.

Politics

2027: More Than 50 Lawmakers Lose APC Reps Tickets in Major Primary Election

Published

on

 

No fewer than 50 members of the 10th House of Representatives are unlikely to be part of the 11th Assembly after losing out in the All Progressive Congress (APC) primaries held on Saturday.

This marks one of the largest turnovers of sitting federal lawmakers since 2015 and signals intensifying internal competition within the ruling party eight months to the 2027 general elections.

While House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas (Kano) and Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu (Abia) successfully defended their tickets, several ranking and long-serving lawmakers were defeated, exposing strong anti-incumbent sentiment and the decisive role of state governors in candidate selection.

Major casualties

One of the biggest upsets was the defeat of House Majority Leader Julius Ihonvbere in Edo State’s Owan Federal Constituency. He polled 1,005 votes out of 7,587 cast, finishing third behind Andrew Ijegbia, who scored 3,695 votes. Abdul Oroh placed second with 1,740 votes.

In Delta State, veteran lawmaker Nicholas Mutu, who has represented Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency since 1999, lost his re-election bid. Ngozi Okolie also lost the Aniocha/Oshimili ticket to former House Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu.

 

Cross River State recorded one of the highest casualty rates, with five of eight incumbents failing to secure re-nomination.

They include three-term member Mike Etaba (Obubra/Etung), Godwin Offiono (Ogoja/Yala), Emil Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase), and Bassey Akiba (Odukpani/Calabar Municipality).

Only Peter Akpanke, Joseph Bassey, and Victor Abang won return tickets.

In Plateau State, conflicting results in Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam Federal Constituency triggered early confusion. One returning officer declared challenger John Tongshinen winner with 29,968 votes against incumbent Yusuf Gagdi’s 5,849.

The APC Plateau State primaries committee, chaired by Stella Okotete, later dismissed that declaration as unauthorised and affirmed Mr Gagdi as the authentic winner with 29,207 votes.

At a press briefing, Mrs Okotete stated that Nandom Kura was the recognised returning officer. “The returning officer approved by my committee that has gone to do fake declaration is null and void,” she said.

Other significant losses occurred in Ogun State (at least five incumbents, including Deputy Chief Whip Ibrahim Isiaka and Tunji Akinosi) and Ekiti State (three sitting members).

 

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP to screen Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday as its sole Presidential aspirant For 2027 race

Published

on

 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Tanimu Turaki, SAN, has scheduled to screen former president Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow, Tuesday, aMay 19, as the lone presidential candidate of party.

According to a statement from the PDP faction backed by the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, Former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former governor of Plateau State, Jona Jang and a former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tom Ikimi have been listed among a committee of 14 members to screen Jonathan described as a lone candidate by the party.

Other members of the committee were Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenin, Dr. Abdul Bulama, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Edo State PDP chairman, Tony Aziegbemi, Dr. Sunday Solarium and Chief Anicho Okoro, who would serve as administrative secretary of the committee.

Last week, the national Publicity Secretary of the faction, Ini Ememobong, disclosed that former president Jonathan has successfully registered as a member of the party in the fresh digital registration exercise directed by INEC.

The PDP faction also announced that it was set to screen 748 house of representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial aspirants, and 112 governorship aspirants.

The screening committee would screen 2122 states houses of assembly aspirants. The exercise will commence tomorrow, Tuesday in different states.

According to the statement, the screening exercise would take place nationwide on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m.

The statement said the Interim National Working Committee (iNWC) has also released the names of members to serve on the Screening Committees and Screening Appeal Panels.

It added that the publication of the screening details “is in accordance with the party’s guidelines and timetable for the conduct of the 2027 general elections.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Oshiomhole wins Edo APC senatorial primaries unopposed

Published

on

A former governor and incumbent Senator, Adams Oshiomhole, along with his counterpart Senator Joe Ikpea, sailed through the All Progressives Congress senatorial primary in Edo unopposed, and securing their tickets without a single vote cast against them.

Also Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama emerged the winner in the APC primary for the Edo South senatorial district.

Ogbeide-Ihama won in the seven local government areas of Edo South in the results announced by the Chairman of APC National Assembly Primary Election, Muhammed Ajana at the Urokpota Hall, Benin.

He polled 27,154 votes while his opponents, Senator Neda Imasuen, got 13,580, and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu got 6785.

The elections were hitch-free in Edo North and Edo Central, where there was no contest against the incumbents, Senators Oshiomhole of Edo North and Ikpea of Edo Central, respectively.

Ajana at the Urokpota Hall said the collation arose from votes cast in the seven local government areas made up of 77 wards where elections were conducted by members of the committee.

He said, “There are seven local governments that make up the Edo South Senatorial District. We have heard from the Returning officers from the seven local government areas. From the collation, the cumulative result we have for Edo South Senatorial District is this; Ogbeide-Ihama with 27,154 votes, Imasuen with 13,580 votes and Ize-Iyamu with 6, 785.

“This is the total reflection of what has transpired from the ward level to the local government and the Edo South senatorial district collation centre. With this we await further directives from the National Secretariat, we have done our best by collating the results which is our mandate, to collate the results and send them to the National Secretariat.”

However, it was gathered that Ize-Iyamu emerged as the APC candidate for Edo South Senatorial race. He claimed to have clinched the party’s ticket after defeating Ogbeide-Ihama and Imasuen.

It was claimed that the Chief Returning Officer, Abubakar Muhammad Kabiru, officially declared Ize-Iyamu the winner after securing the highest number of votes cast.

On his part, the senator representing the district condemned the exercise describing it as a sham allegedly designed to favour a preferred aspirant.

Imasuen spoke while reacting to events at his polling unit in Umagbae North Ward 5, Urhokuosa where he said he was denied the opportunity to vote following what he described as a chaotic and manipulated process.

The lawmaker accused leaders of the party of openly adopting a preferred candidate ahead of the exercise and intimidating members into supporting that aspirant.

He said, “There is nothing satisfactory about this sham of election they did today and it is very unfortunate because as a loyal party member, I expected something better than this.”

He said the warning signs emerged days before the primary when some ward chairmen allegedly informed him that they had been directed not to receive him during consultations.

Imasuen claimed that some ward leaders openly told him the party had already adopted a preferred aspirant, identified as Hon. Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, making further consultations unnecessary.

Continue Reading

Trending