Connect with us

Politics

Osun: APC disputes Adeleke’s 250,000 job claim

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress, APC, in Osun State has dismissed the claim of creation of 250,000 jobs in the last two years as declared by the state governor, Ademola Adeleke.

The party reacting through Kola Olabisi, its Director of Media and Information, said the claim was false and criticised the governor for his failure to employ teachers and health workers in the state’s public schools and hospitals.

The party said, “Is it not funny and strange that Governor Ademola Adeleke, who could not employ teachers and health workers for three years in his administration, is now thinking it wise to recruit 10,000 Imole Youth Corps members?”

He emphasised the shortage of teachers in public schools and the understaffing in public hospitals as key concerns, questioning why the governor was prioritising the recruitment of youth corps members when basic services were lacking.

“Claim of 250,000 job opportunities in two years is a fake story. We sympathise with the applicant-teachers swindled into purchasing employment forms by the PDP-led administration in Osun State, who have been waiting for three years without any indication of recruitment under Adeleke’s government,” Olabisi added.

Governor, Ademola Adeleke, had on Thursday declared that his administration had created approximately 250,000 jobs over the past two years, attributing the achievement to local content policies and financial support for businesses.

Speaking in Osogbo during the induction of 10,000 youths into the Imole Youth Corps, Adeleke stated that the initiative was part of his broader plan to tackle unemployment.

The scheme he said engaged youths from the 332 political wards in Osun to provide services in health, security, environment, and education.

He said, “Our administration is focused on tackling the unemployment crisis. We note the widespread joblessness among the youth.

“Our first decision is to create an enabling environment for job creation by both the government and the private sector.”

He described the programme as a transitional arrangement designed to equip young people with skills and opportunities across different sectors.

“Today’s gathering is a continuation of our efforts to provide job opportunities for our teaming youth,” he added.

The governor assured the newly enrolled Imole Youth Corps members that they would receive training to deliver essential services in their assigned roles. He urged them to show dedication and professionalism in their duties.

Adeleke highlighted some of his administration’s key strategies to boost employment, including financial support for small businesses and infrastructural development. He said that over N4bn had been committed to a revolving loan scheme for grassroots entrepreneurs.

“I am happy to announce that through our local content policy, financial access to businesses, and ongoing youth agropreneur programme, over 250,000 of our population were provided job opportunities,” Adeleke stated.

According to him, job creation efforts would be further expanded as the state government launched an agropreneur project in each of the 30 local government areas and area councils.

The Commissioner for Youth Development, Moshood Olagunju, also insisted that the administration had a structured approach to employment generation and that its policies had positively impacted various sectors.

He confirmed that a performance evaluation system would be put in place to assess the success of the Imole Youth Corps and other employment initiatives.

“We are committed to transparency and results. The performance evaluation system will ensure that every initiative meets its objectives,” Olagunju said.

Politics

Desmond Elliot Withdraws from APC Lagos Assembly Primaries, Cites Intimidation

Published

on

 

Surulere I lawmaker Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress Lagos House of Assembly primaries, citing intimidation across multiple zones.

In a viral video posted online, the lawmaker said he was stepping out of the race despite seeking re-election under the APC. He alleged that his supporters faced intimidation during the process in several parts of the constituency.

Elliot’s decision came as the primaries held across Lagos on Tuesday. Chief of Staff to the President Femi Gbajabiamila, who represents Surulere Federal Constituency, praised the conduct of the exercise in Surulere, describing it as peaceful.

The withdrawal narrows the contest for the APC ticket in Surulere I ahead of the 2027 general election. Party officials in Lagos have not yet responded to Elliot’s claims, and the APC state chapter has not announced whether the primary in the constituency will proceed with other aspirants.

Elliot has represented Surulere I in the Lagos State House of Assembly since 2015.

 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DYkCaAiMxxt/?igsh=ZWw5czl6MHJhNnRy

Continue Reading

Politics

Political Shockwave in Rivers as Fubara Pulls Out of APC Governorship Race, Backs Party’s Candidate

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has officially withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primaries scheduled to take place on Thursday, a development that has stirred fresh political conversations across the state.

The governor announced his decision in a personally signed statement titled “My Decision to Withdraw from the Rivers State Gubernatorial Primaries,” which was released on Wednesday night.

In the statement, Fubara explained that his withdrawal followed wide consultations with political associates, stakeholders, and supporters. He stated that the decision was taken in the overall interest of peace, unity, and stability within the APC and Rivers State at large.

According to the governor, politics should not be allowed to divide the people or create unnecessary tension within the party. He stressed that preserving unity among party members and maintaining stability in the state remain more important than personal political ambition.

Fubara further pledged his total loyalty and support to whoever eventually emerges as the APC governorship candidate, assuring party faithful that he remains committed to the success and progress of the party ahead of the next general elections.

The Rivers governor also appreciated his supporters across the state for standing by him throughout the political process. He thanked party leaders, youth groups, women supporters, and political associates who had continued to show him solidarity and encouragement.

He urged his supporters not to see his withdrawal as the end of his political journey, but rather as a decision made in the collective interest of the party and the state. He also appealed to them to remain peaceful, united, and committed to the ideals of the APC.

Political observers have described the development as one of the biggest political surprises in Rivers State in recent times, especially considering the growing speculations and intense political alignments ahead of the governorship primaries.

Analysts believe the governor’s withdrawal may reshape the political calculations within the APC and influence the direction of the party’s governorship race moving forward.

The announcement has continued to generate mixed reactions from political stakeholders and residents across Rivers State. While some supporters described the move as strategic and mature, others expressed surprise over the governor’s sudden exit from the contest.

Several party faithful, however, commended Fubara for placing party unity and stability above personal ambition, noting that his decision may help reduce internal tensions and strengthen the APC ahead of the elections.

The development has also intensified attention on the remaining aspirants contesting for the APC governorship ticket, as consultations and political meetings continue ahead of the primary election.

Many observers believe the governor’s endorsement of the eventual APC candidate could play a major role in shaping the outcome of the party’s governorship battle and future political structure in the state.

As political activities continue to gather momentum in Rivers State, all eyes are now on the APC primaries and the next phase of political developments expected to unfold in the coming days.

Continue Reading

Politics

Ugochukwu Obodo wins Owerri Municipal APC ticket again as APC Elects 27 Imo Assembly Candidates After Successful Primaries

Published

on

 

The leadership and members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Imo State have successfully elected 27 candidates who emerged victorious during the recently concluded Imo State House of Assembly primary elections conducted across the 305 wards of the State.

In a statement obtained by ThePressman Newspaper, the leadership of Imo APC described the primary election exercise as peaceful, transparent, credible, and reflective of the democratic ideals and internal cohesion of the party.

The information from the party commended party faithful, delegates, stakeholders, and supporters for their maturity, discipline, unity, and sportsmanship throughout the electoral process, noting that the successful conduct of the primaries further demonstrated the organizational strength and readiness of the APC ahead of the 2027 general elections.

According to the statement, the outcome of the primaries reaffirmed the confidence reposed in the party by members across the State, while also positioning the APC for a formidable outing in the forthcoming elections.

The Imo APC leadership warmly congratulated the party’s standard bearers who emerged across the 27 State Constituencies, namely:

Uchenna Osigwe – Orsu LGA
Chantel Adanna Onwumere – Ikeduru
Obodo Ugochukwu – Owerri Municipal
Hon. Ernest Udeze – Ideato North
Godspower Onyeibe – Ideato South
Mrs Julie Egbo – Owerri North
Rt. Hon. Kanayo Onyemaechi – Owerri West
Prince Marcel Amadioha – Ohaji Egbema
Hon. Gilbert Nwosu – Oguta
Hon. Uche Obiozor – Oru East
Hon. Emeka Agbor – Oru West
Rt. Hon. Obinna Egu – Ngor-Okpala
Hon. Magnus Okolie – Orlu
Hon. Innocent Ikpamezie – Mbaitoli
Hon. Modestus Osakwe – Isu
Hon.Ebonine Ozioma Worship – Njaba
Rt Hon Amarachi Chyna Iwuanyanwu – Nwangele
Hon. Chisom Ojukwu – Nkwerre
Hon. Doris Anyanwu – Ahiazu Mbaise
Hon. Princewill Amuchie – Aboh Mbaise
Hon. Henry Agbasonu – Ezinihitte Mbaise
Hon. Sam Osuji – Isiala Mbano
Ben Ozoemenam – Ehime Mbano
Hon. Emeka Okoronkwo – Okigwe
Prince Humphrey Okeke – Obowo
Lady Blessing Nwoba – Ihitte-Uboma
Hon. Chibuzor Umunnakwe – Onuimo
The party further expressed confidence that the emergence of the candidates would strengthen the APC’s chances of securing victory across the State during the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Trending