Connect with us

Politics

Ukraine: Merz says Putin’s peace talks proposal falls short

Published

on

Merz and Ukraine's other allies pushed for a 30-day ceasefire beginning Monday © GENYA SAVILOV/AFP

Story by Kieran Burke, Kate Hairsine (with AP, Reuters, dpa, AFP)

Friedrich Merz says Russian President Vladimir Putin’s proposal for direct peace talks with Kyiv is insufficient. The German chancellor says a ceasefire with Ukraine should come first.

Russian President Vladimir Putin proposes resuming direct talks with Ukraine Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy expects Russia to commit to ceasefire first German Chancellor Friedrich Merz insists a ceasefire in Ukraine must be agreed before talks Turkey says it is ready to host future peace talks

Germany’s Merz says ‘weapons must be silenced’ before peace talks

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said that Russia’s willingness to talk is “positive sign” but “far from sufficient” in comments made after returning from his first trip to Kyiv.

Merz said that European allies were backing a 30-day truce, which “Ukraine agreed to without reservation.”

“We expect Moscow to agree to a ceasefire that allows real talks to take place. First the weapons must be silenced, then the discussions can begin,” the new conservative leader said in a statement posted on social media platform X.

Merz was responding to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s offer to hold direct talks with Ukraine in Turkey from Thursday.

Turkey ready to host Ukraine-Russia peace talks

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron that Ankara is ready to host the negotiations for a ceasefire and permanent peace between Russia and Ukraine, the Turkish leader’s office said.

Erdogan also told Macron that a “historic turning point” has been reached in the efforts to end the war between Russia and Ukraine.

The two leaders held a phone call on Sunday, Erdogan’s office said.

Ukraine violated Moscow’s unilateral ceasefire more than 14,000 times, Russia says

Russia’s defense ministry said Ukraine had violated the three-day ceasefire, unilaterally declared by Moscow, 14,043 times, according to state news agency TASS.

Russia says Ukraine’s military tried to breach Russia’s southern border into the regions of Kursk and Belgorod five times.

Russian President Vladimir Putin declared the three-day ceasefire last week to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany in the Second World War.

Ukraine did not agree to the ceasefire, calling it a “parade of cynicism.”

Zelenskyy welcomes Russian offer of direct talks, but wants ceasefire first

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said he welcomed Russian President Vladimir Putin’s offer of direct talks, but said a ceasefire must come first.

“It is a positive sign that the Russians have finally begun to consider ending the war … And the very first step in truly ending any war is a ceasefire,” Zelenskyy posted on X.

“We expect Russia to confirm a ceasefire — full, lasting, and reliable — starting tomorrow, May 12th,” he added.

Russian drones target Kyiv and other cities: Ukrainian military

Ukraine’s air force said Russia had launched more than 100 drones into Ukraine at night, shortly after a Russian 72-hour ceasefire had ended at midnight.

Drone attacks were reported in the capital city Kyiv as well as over Odesa, Kharkiv and Dnipropetrovsk.

The three-day ceasefire was ordered by Russian President Vladimir Putin to coincide with commemorations of the 80th anniversary of the end of World War II. Both Kyiv and Moscow accused each other of violating the ceasefire several times.

The attacks came as Russian President Vladimir Putin ignored a European-proposed 30-day ceasefire, backed by the US, instead offering direct talks with Kyiv later this month.

Macron says Putin’s proposal for direct talks with Kyiv ‘not enough’

French President Emmanuel Macron said President Vladimir Putin’s proposal for direct talks between Russia and Ukraine is “not enough.”

“An unconditional ceasefire is not preceded by negotiations, by definition,” Macron told reporters in the Polish city of Przemysl. He said Putin was “looking for a way out, but he still wants to buy time.”

Macron was on the way back from Ukraine after he and the leaders of Germany, Poland and the UK met President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Kyiv.

“We need to stand firm with the Americans and say that the ceasefire is unconditional and then we can discuss the rest,” Macron said.

Putin had proposed direct communication with Kyiv in Istanbul on Sunday, but Macron said that was not acceptable for Ukrainians because “they cannot accept parallel discussions while they continue to be bombed.”

He also expressed doubt over whether Zelenskyy would agree for Putin’s proposed talks.

Ukraine-Russia war: ‘A BIG week upcoming!’ says Trump

US President Donald Trump said he will “continue to work with both sides” to end the war in Ukraine.

“A potentially great day for Russia and Ukraine!” Trump posted on his Truth Social platform, without specifying what he was referring to.

“Think of the hundreds of thousands of lives that will be saved as this never ending “bloodbath” hopefully comes to an end… I will continue to work with both sides to make sure that it happens.”

“The USA wants to focus, instead, on Rebuilding and Trade. A BIG week upcoming!” Trump exclaimed.

The comments come after Russian President Vladimir Putin proposed resuming direct talks with Ukraine as early as next week.

Russia launches drone attack on Kyiv

Ukraine’s air defense units are trying to repel a Russian air attack on Kyiv, the city’s mayor Vitali Klitschko said, after Ukraine’s air force warned of a drone attack on the capital.

“Air defense forces are working in the capital. Stay in shelters!” Klitschko posted on his Telegram account at 4.55 a.m. Kyiv time (1:55 a.m. UTC) on Sunday.

Kyiv’s City Military Administration posted an alert on Telegram shortly afterwards.

“An air alert has been issued in Kyiv due to the threat of enemy UAVs. We urge city residents to immediately go to the nearest shelters and stay there until the alert ends,” it said.

It said that air defenses units were engaging enemy targets on Kyiv’s outskirts.

News agency Reuters cited local witnesses who “heard blasts in Kyiv from what sounded like air defence units in operation.”

This live map show Ukraine’s regions which have active air raids.

Putin proposes restarting direct talks with Ukraine

Russian President Vladimir Putin has suggested restarting direct talks with Ukraine.

In comments to reporters early on Sunday, Putin said that the talks should aim to achieve a durable peace and eliminate the root causes of the war.

“We offer the Kyiv authorities to resume negotiations already on Thursday [May 15] in Istanbul,” Putin said.

“Those who really want peace can’t be against [the proposal],” he said.

The Russian president added that he would speak with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

It’s not the first time that Putin has tied a ceasefire to the condition of removing the root causes of the war he launched.

Putin typically lists several long-standing complaints he has with Ukraine and the West as justification for invading Ukraine in early 2022.

His demands usually include a stop to NATO’s expansion and Ukraine’s permanent exclusion from the defense alliance, the removal of Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy from office and returning Ukraine to Russia’s sphere of influence.

In his comments, Putin did not directly address a request by Ukraine and four of its main Western allies for a 30-day ceasefire without preconditions.

The leaders of France, the United Kingdom, Germany and Poland threatened on Saturday to increase sanctions on Russia if it doesn’t accept an unconditional 30-day ceasefire in Ukraine.

Russia’s self-declared ceasefire expires

The three-day ceasefire declared by Russia expired on Saturday at midnight.

Ukraine accused Russian forces of only pretending to observe the ceasefire, which was declared for celebrations of the 80th anniversary of Russia’s victory over Nazi Germany in World War II.

“The attacks on the front line continue,” President Volodymr Zelenskyy said on Saturday.

“And Russian assaults are ongoing,” he said. “They haven’t stopped using aerial bombs against our front line positions and border communities.”

Russian shelling in Ukraine’s northern Sumy region over the past day killed three residents and wounded four more, officials there said.

Another civilian died Saturday as a Russian drone struck the southern city of Kherson, according to the regional government.

The US embassy in Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv, warned on Friday of a “potentially significant” Russian air attack that may occur over the coming days. It didn’t give any further details.

Ukraine has been defending itself against Russia since it launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in early 2022.

Welcome to our coverage

Here is a summary of the lastest developments in the Ukraine war.

Russia’s President Vladimir Putin has proposed restarting direct talks with Ukraine. He said that the talks could take place in Turkey as early as next week and that he would talk to Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Russia’s self-declared ceasefire ended on Saturday at midnight. Putin had declared the three-day ceasefire as Russia marked the 80th anniversary of its victory against Nazi Germany. But Ukraine accuses Russia of violating the ceasefire.

Meanwhile, Ukraine and its allies have pushed for 30-day ceasefire starting from Monday. Leaders from four major European countries threatened to increase sanctions on Russia if Putin doesn’t accept the proposal for an unconditional ceasefire.

Politics

APC Southeast hails successful State Assembly primaries

Published

on

 

…Commends Uzodimma’s leadership

The Southeast Executive Committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has expressed deep appreciation to the party’s elected officials, stakeholders, and members for their unwavering support that made the State Houses of Assembly Primary Election a resounding success.

Speaking on behalf of the Southeast Executive Committee, the party’s National Vice Chairman, Southeast, Dr. Ijeomah Arodiogbu, specifically thanked Imo State Governor Senator Hope Uzodimma, who serves as the leader of the party in the region, for his guidance.

He commended the governor for his consistent support that guaranteed peaceful and successful primaries, and noted that his leadership provided the necessary framework for harmony, encouraging all participants to prioritize collective progress over individual interests.

Dr. Arodiogbu further congratulated all winners of the primaries, urging them to embrace humility in victory.

He emphasized the importance of remaining grounded as the party works to consolidate its achievements and prepare effectively for the 2027 general elections.

He also reiterated APC’s commitment to inclusive participation and strategic planning across the Southeast and said that with these successful primaries, the party signals readiness to build on its foundation, delivering impactful representation and addressing the needs of citizens in the zone.

The primaries held smoothly across the five states of the Southeast geopolitical zone on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, reflecting strong unity and commitment within the party ranks.

This achievement underscored the growing strength of the APC in the region, where diligent coordination and collective efforts translated into orderly processes free from major disruptions.

Continue Reading

Politics

FEDERAL HIGH COURT STOPS INEC FROM RESTRICTING DEFECTION TO ANOTHER PARTY AFTER CONTESTING PRIMARY

Published

on

 

Here is the judgement from the Federal High Court, Abuja today

1. INEC can only monitor 2027 primaries but cannot fix timetable for when a political party should conduct its primaries for this election

2. INEC cannot give a shorter timeframe or abridge the period in which a political party can provide information of their candidates for 2027 election

3. INEC cannot give a shorter timeframe to political parties as regards withdrawal or replacement of candidates (Placeholders)

4. INEC cannot publish any final list of candidates for 2027 elections before 60 days to election.

5. INEC cannot fix 2027 campaigns to end 2 days to elections.

6. This is AN ORDER nullifying and setting aside the timeframes imposed by INEC for 2027 General Election for:

– the conduct of primary elections by political parties for the 2027 general elections

– the submission of personal particulars of candidates by their political parties for the 2027 general elections

– the withdrawal and replacement of candidates by political parties

– the publication of the final list of candidates for the 2027 general elections and campaigning.

Is this a trap or a game changer for some aspirants???

Continue Reading

Politics

Fubara To Contest Rivers Governorship Seat Under NDC

Published

on

A Rivers State politician, Blessing Fubara, has declared his intention to contest the 2027 governorship election in Rivers State under the platform of the Nigeria Democratic Congress.

The politician has already obtained both the nomination and expression of interest forms needed to participate in the governorship race ahead of the 2027 election.

Blessing Fubara shares the same surname and local government area with the current Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara.

Both men are from Opobo/Nkoro Local Government Area. However, there has been no confirmation that they are family members.

The Chairman of the NDC in Rivers State, Success Jack, confirmed that Blessing Fubara is among those seeking the party’s governorship ticket.

He also stated that he could not confirm whether the governorship aspirant is related to Governor Siminalayi Fubara.

According to him, the party is preparing seriously for the 2027 general elections and hopes to win not only the governorship seat but other elective positions in Rivers State.

The development comes weeks after Blessing Fubara left the All Progressives Congress and joined the NDC.

Following his defection in Abuja, he was received by former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, alongside other leaders and members of the party.

After joining the NDC, Blessing Fubara said his decision was taken for the interest of Rivers people.

He also stated that the future of the state must be protected ahead of the next general election, expressing confidence that the state would experience positive changes after the 2027 polls.

Continue Reading

Trending